NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - A local wrestling coach and Special Education teacher has been charged with numerous counts of multiple sex crimes and avoidance of arrest and prosecution.
John DeNuto coached at 15 public and Catholic high schools and township youth programs in Central New Jersey, including CJA Wrestling of East Brunswick, South Brunswick High School, Sayreville Middle School and High School, Piscataway High School, and Spotswood High School.
Denuto, 44, of Spotswood was indicted April 22 on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child in the first-, second-, and third-degree stemming from his filming and possession of child sexual exploitation material as well as eight counts of invasion of privacy in the third-degree, six counts of aggravated criminal sexual contact in the third-degree, six counts of criminal sexual contact in the fourth-degree, two counts of witness tampering in the third-degree, and one count of hindering his apprehension in the third-degree, according to Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone.
Denuto was initially arrested on Feb.15, 2020 following an investigation by the Sayreville Police Department and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office that determined Denuto had criminal sexual contact with a juvenile and possessed child sexual exploitive materials that he had created by filming and photographing the juvenile. Further investigation determined Denuto was in possession of additional child sexual exploitive material unrelated to the juvenile. Denuto had likewise photographed seven other victims’ intimate parts without their knowledge, and inappropriately touched five of those victims, Ciccone said.
The investigation revealed that Denuto was associated with the following schools, organizations and clubs:
- Rhino's Wrestling Club - Morganville
- CJA Wrestling Club - East Brunswick
- Pennsville High School - Pennsville
- Raritan High School - Hazlet Township
- Saint John Vianney - Holmdel
- Sayreville Middle School - Sayreville
- Sayreville High School - Sayreville
- Middletown North High School - Middletown Township
- Bergen Catholic High School
- Monroe High School - Monroe
- Peddie High School - Hightstown
- South Brunswick High School - South Brunswick
- Saint Joseph High School - Montvale
- Union County College - Cranford
- Camden Catholic High School - Cherry Hill
- Johnson High School - Clark
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School (formerly Bishop Ahr HS) - Edison
- Woodbridge High School - Woodbridge
- 7th & 8th Woodbridge Recreation Program - Woodbridge
- 7th & 8th Grade Old Bridge Recreation Program - Old Bridge
- Piscataway High School - Piscataway
- Spotswood High School - Spotswood
- Freehold Boro High School - Freehold Borough.
The investigation is active and continuing. Anyone with information is asked to contact Sergeant Daniel Ellmyer of the Sayreville Police Department (732) 727-4444, or Sergeant Julissa Alvarado of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 745-3848.
As is the case with all criminal defendants, the charges against Denuto are merely accusations, and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.