BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - The developer of the 55+ community planned for 100 Locust Avenue, which committed to paying for and installing a traffic light at the intersection of Snyder and Locust avenues as part of its 2017 redevelopment agreement, has submitted the order for the traffic light.
The light will take several months to be delivered. The responsibility of paying for, ordering, and installing the light is on the developer of Woodcrest at Berkeley Heights; the light costs about $250,000.
“The township is fortunate that those who negotiated the redevelopment agreement on the township’s behalf at the time, ensured that the light would be part of this project,” said Mayor Angie Devanney. “Due to the anticipated increase in traffic from the new YMCA opening on Locust, plus Woodcrest at Berkeley Heights across the street, this light will help manage traffic and pedestrians in that area.”
The following measures have been taken to address this intersection:
- The speed on Snyder Avenue was reduced to 30 mph, in both directions;
- A blinking-light stop sign was installed on Hamilton Ave at the intersection;
- In late December, Locust Avenue was striped to narrow the portion of the street leading up to the intersection, to ensure one-lane traffic at the intersection’s approach, instead of two;
- This week, orange delineators were placed on Hamilton and Locust to ensure one-lane traffic only near the intersection. This will prohibit cars from pulling up alongside a car waiting at the intersection and trying to go straight or right before the car ahead of them has a chance to make their desired turn. This should help improve visibility before turns from these streets are made;
- Additional stop signs will be placed on Hamilton Avenue and Locust Avenue, approaching the intersection, to reduce the chances that drivers will run the stop signs;
- Reflective thermoplastic striping will be placed on the road heading toward the intersection as soon as possible, weather permitting.
The Township will continue to evaluate the intersection and take additional measures as necessary until the light is installed.