BLOOMFIELD, NJ - At first glance, the small fire that took place in ceiling at the Bloomfield Public Library appears to have caused minimal damage. The electrical fire damage was limited to a small section of the ceiling in the Friends of the Bloomfield Public Library office.
In addition to that area that was a part of the fire, a brand new computer that was purchased less than a month ago showed signs that melted material from the fire area had dripped on it. The powder that was used expressed by the fire extinguishers is also on computers, keyboards, and office equipment in the Friends office. One library employee told us that is looked as if someone sprinkled baby powder around the office.
As the fire took place just before a holiday weekend, insurance adjusters and cleaning professionals are not expected make a determination until next week. The powder from the extinguishers is not toxic, however it can present problems for people with respiratory issues.
The Friends of the Bloomfield Public Library are in the middle of a fundraising project for chairs for the library. According to Friends president Michelle Davidson, that project is going to move ahead as if the fire never happened.
TAPintoBloomfield.net is an online newspaper serving the Township of Bloomfield and is the only locally owned news organization in the township
TAPinto Bloomfield is accredited by the New Jersey Press Association. Sign up for our FREE dailyeNews and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BloomfieldTAP. Download the TAPinto App! Click here for Android. Click here for iOS.
Have a news tip? Reach us at Bloomfield@TAPinto.net