MOUNT HOLLY, NJ – While many families have been focused on getting their children settled back into pre-kindergarten through high school during the on-going pandemic, students who graduated from High School are opting to take a “gap year” before heading to college. Other college students have not returned to campus.  While older community college students have been busy juggling family and work.

Now is the time perfect to enroll in classes Rowan College at Burlington County says president Dr. Michael Cioce who has been with the community college for many years and has been navigating it through the coronavirus pandemic

In talking to TAPinto Bordentown, Cioce said that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has caused “all of us to rethink the college experience.”

Sign Up for Bordentown Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

With many college students deciding to take a “gap year,” Cioce said “now is a perfect time for students to enroll in classes at the county college level to keep education going.”

Cioce points out that while there has been a lot of talk about schools re-opening, the college has never closed during the pandemic “we have been here the entire time.”

The traditional fall semester began on August 28.  But, there’s still time to register for the 10-week classes that begin on September 22. These classes offer the same number of course credits and cover the same material, just in a more condensed time frame.  

Currently, approximately 83 percent of the Burlington County-based College classes are being offered online.  The remaining 17 percent of classes that are meeting in-person are for specialty classes such as health, sciences, nursing, laboratories and arts that cannot be conducted remotely.

Online classes have been offered at Rowan for many years and can provide accessibility for different kinds of lifestyles.

The college also recently launched their “Get Started Now” program that would provide a $500 scholarship for spring class enrollments to students who complete 15 credits in the fall.

Cioce noted that there are several education tracks that have been “virus proof careers” such as information technology, health care, transportation, logistics and distribution.

The college has seen an increase in enrollment in classes for health care administration.  Cioce believes this is a sign that students have seen the great impact that the health care community has had on the pandemic.  They have seen an increase in enrollment in classes for nursing, paramedics, emergency management technicians (EMTs), and health care administration.

“When the call went out from Burlington County for help at testing centers and phone banks, there are a big response from many of our students.  It shows true dedication. We are a community,” said Cioce.

For students who have not returned to the "normal" college campus, classes can easily be transferred once completed including general education courses such as english, math, pyschology, sociology or others that are traditionally staples of an advanced degree. 

As part of the Rowan University network, students who take classes at the community college level will have a smooth transition into the University.  In addition, the Rowan system offers the unique 3 + 1 degree program.   Student can complete classes at the county college level for three years, then they can transfer to the University for their final year to complete their bachelor’s degree.

Enrollment at Rowan College at Burlington remains affordable at $3,290, including books, for a 15-credit semester, typically of five classes. 

Cioce also noted that despite changes at high school in class remotely, in-person, or hybrid, the College is maintaining their partnership with Burlington County high schools for dual enrollment.  He said the objective remains the same and some students will graduate in May with an associate’s degree before graduation with their high school diploma in June.

Despite the on-going pandemic, Cioce said the “objective remains the same” at Rowan provide “quality education during a pandemic or in better times.”

To enroll in the upcoming 10-week classes or learn more about Rowan College at Burlington, CLICK HERE.

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Bordentown E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things local!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email Editors Elizabeth Meyers and Kristin Antonello and tell them about it.