WEST ORANGE, NJ - The North Jersey Affiliate of Susan G. Komen announced that they will be running a special online promotion in January to encourage early registration for the eighth annual Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure on Sunday, May 3. From Jan. 11-31 only, online registration at www.komennorthjersey.org/race will be just $20, a discount of up to $20 off the full registration fee.
“We want to make it easy for people to sign up now, so they can get a jump-start on fundraising for the Race,” said Jennifer Griola, the affiliate’s executive director. “Although every registration fee helps, most of the money we raise each year actually comes through the fundraising efforts of our individual and team participants who reach out to friends, family and colleagues, hold special events, and find creative ways to raise funds for us.” To take advantage of the special early registration rate, Griola said, registrants should use Discount Code 2020cure.
More than 5,000 people are expected to be on site at the 2015 Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure, which will be held at the Essex County South Mountain Recreation Complex in West Orange. Race Day activities will include a 5K Run, a 5K Walk and a 1.5-mile Fun Walk. There will be a special Survivor Tent, Survivor Procession and Ceremony, an expanded Race Village area with free give-aways, an I AM THE CURE booth to learn more about breast self-awareness, food, a Komen merchandise tent, a special “Kids’ Dash” and a Kids for the Cure area with an inflatable obstacle course and lots of activities for kids of all ages.
Throughout the day, there will be new entertainment and activities to keep the whole family engaged. After the race, there is plenty to do nearby with dining at McLoone’s, ice skating at Codey Arena, Turtle Back Zoo, Safari Mini Golf, a new state-of-the-art family playground, TreeTop Adventure ziplining course, paddle boats, a walking trail and more—all easily accessible from the race site. A special discount will be available for race participants.
“Many people aren’t aware that 75 percent of what we raise at our annual race stays right here in New Jersey, to fund programs that help those who are in need, and to educate as many people as possible about breast health and breast cancer awareness,” said Griola. “The other 25 percent goes to national research programs that are dedicated to finding new and better methods of diagnosis and treatment, and ultimately, the cures. We are making strides here; we are saving lives here. But there is so much more to do—until the day comes when we realize our vision of a world without breast cancer.
"I lost my grandmother to breast cancer in 2012, after a 10-year battle with Stage 4 breast cancer. This year, her daughter, my 48-year old aunt—a healthy, fit, marathon running, breast-health-diligent woman—was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer," Griola said. "Another friend has just been diagnosed at age 40, with her first mammogram. This terrible disease touches the lives of everyone, everywhere, women and men, in some way. We hope everyone will come out for our Race and help us get to our vision, a world without breast cancer. Our Race Day has something for everyone. Come with a friend, or even better, start a team. Even I have one—Evie’s Robins, in memory of my grandmother—but we will also be walking in celebration of my Aunt Brenda, who has her last chemotherapy treatment two days before the Race."
Through their annual Race for the Cure and other initiatives throughout the year, Susan G. Komen North Jersey raises funds that support life-saving breast cancer screening, breast health/breast cancer education, patient navigation, treatment support, and survivorship programs to underserved women and men in the affiliate’s nine-county service region (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren counties). Since its founding in 1997, Komen North Jersey has awarded over $16 million in local community grants, and has directed more than $7 million to the national research programs aimed at finding new and better treatment options and, ultimately, the causes and cures to eradicate breast cancer forever. For additional Race information, to register, volunteer, start a team, or make a donation, visit www.KomenNorthJersey.org/race, or call (908) 277-2904.
"In distributing this year’s community grant awards, we placed a bigger emphasis on patient navigation, programs that help newly-diagnosed individuals ‘navigate’ the system and get the care they need," Griola said. "When people call our office for help, it is so apparent that they are scared. Worried about taking the right next step, or confused because they don’t understand what the doctor is telling them. We can connect them to an experienced patient navigator who can help guide them through the breast cancer journey. This not only gives them the confidence to take the steps that are right for them, but gives them more hope for the future."