BRIDGEWATER, NJ - Three employees in the Baker & Taylor building, on Route 22 East, have been transported to the hospital as of 3 p.m. Friday to be treated for carbon monoxide exposure, according to a report from Bridgewater Township Police.

According to police, officers responded to the building for an employee feeling ill. When they arrived, police said, several other employees began complaining of feeling ill as well.

The building, police said, was evacuated and the fire department responded to the scene.

Sign Up for E-News

After an investigation, it was found that a flue in the HVAC system had broken and remained in the closed position. The broken flue prevented carbon monoxide from being vented to the outside.

About 20 employees were treated for carbon monoxide exposure, with three being taken to local hospitals and the rest being treated at a triage area on the scene.