To the editor:
I’m writing this as an open letter to the Change4Bridgewater candidates – Jeffrey Brookner, Patti Selikoff and John Arcoleo, I’m a 52-year-old voter who has neither registered with a party nor claimed any loyalty to one ... ever. However, I’m compelled to support your candidacies, irrespective of party affiliation because:
- You maintained a fact-based campaign.
- You stuck to your message.
- You presented great credentials with respect to both education and experience.
- When you were critical of your opponents, you did so with due diligence, researching, preparing and presenting from a substantial body of evidence that supports your claims.
- When you recorded and shared council meetings on YouTube and Facebook, you demonstrated your vision of transparency in government. You actually delivered on campaign promises BEFORE election day.
- It was never about character assassination.
There are other reasons too. In April, you were the underdogs, unlikely to win because of an incumbent government overwhelmingly dominated by Republicans.
Republicans have been unchallenged at the polls. It's not just about the failure of a two-party system. Clearly such a government fails to protect healthy debate or a diverse exchange of new ideas.
Such a one-sided government entrenches the status quo. It diminishes accountability and invites the easy way out of a problem. (How much do we borrow every year?)
The status quo from a chronic one-sided government might actually invite exploitation from corporations. Hell, it might actually cause a flood of money to be directed toward a candidate that agrees to a quid pro quo while dismissing the people he's supposed to represent. In fact, we've seen one example of that already.
You're demonstrating that a well researched, fact-based campaign by well-qualified candidates can break the status quo and make a difference in our town. Keep up the good work, and see you at the polls.