BRIDGEWATER, NJ - On April 8, Somerset County Vocational & Technical High School students competed against other career and technical education students from around the state at the 2017 New Jersey SkillsUSA Championships.
Out of the 85 students from SCVTHS who competed, 52 received medals including 19 gold.
The gold medal winners are now eligible to test their skills in Louisville, Kentucky from June 19 to June 23 at the 53rd annual SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC). During the National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC), more than 6,000 career and technical education students will showcase their talents and compete in 100 different trade, technical and leadership fields. All contests are run with the help of industry, trade associations, and labor organizations. The test competencies are set by industry.
The complete list of SCVTHS students who received medals is as follows:
- Community Service – Brianna Broderick (Flemington), Catherine Chen (Warren), and Anjana Nair (Franklin Park)
- Criminal Justice – Charles Sharkey (Bridgewater)
- First Aid/CPR – Sarah Adams (Bridgewater)
- Job Interview – Satyakrishna Polavarapu (Bridgewater)
- Restaurant Service – Elizabeth Jaeger (Branchburg)
- Career Pathways Showcase: Health Services – Michelle Masiello (Hillsborough) and Shanaya Sood (Hillsborough)
- Health Knowledge Bowl – Julia Garaffa (Skillman), Matthew Natividad (Somerset), Parth Patel (Raritan), and Palak Shah (Hillsborough)
- Medical Math – Janum Shah (Belle Mead)
- Medical Terminology – Mahima Gurushankar (Bridgewater)
- Auto Maintenance – Nicholas Sadlon (Stirling)
- Collision Repair Technology – Brianna Roper (Bridgewater)
- SkillsUSA Safety Display – Bhavya Yalamanchili (Bridgewater)
- Industrial Motor Control – Travis Hays (Bound Brook)
- Technical Computer Applications – Ashley Rodriguez (Bound Brook)
- Quiz Bowl – Sarah Furman (Flemington), Ruchi Patel (Hillsborough), Darshan Shah (Hillsborough), Mukta Patwari (Bridgewater), Evan Sapirman (Hillsborough), and Abiram Gupta (Watchung)
- Career Pathways Showcase: Human Services – Farouk Marhaba (Bridgewater), Ann Marie Masiello (Hillsborough), and Cristina Young (Martinsville)
- Medical Math – Dhruv Gupta (Green Brook)
- Diesel Equipment Technology – Matt King (Watchung)
- Welding – Skylar Holland (Raritan)
- Custom Automotive Painting – Daniel Camacho (Manville) and Julian Hernandez (Somerset)
- Customer Service – Islam Soliman (Somerset)
- Job Interview – Omar Khasawneh (Somerset)
- Related Technical Math – Rea Rustagi (Hillsborough)
- Promotional Bulletin Board – Eka Tawe (Hillsborough), Mackenzie Toth (Milford), and Amanda Williams (Hillsborough)
- Plumbing – Matthew Gentile (Gillette)
- Career Pathways Showcase: Natural Resources/Agriculture/Food – Jaden Bailey (Flemington), Karnav Dalal (Somerset), and Aromal Suresh (Bridgewater)
- Medical Math – Dyan D'Costa (Warren)
- Health Knowledge Bowl – Jennifer Calderon (South Bound Brook), Amanda Rodriguez (Somerville), Hailey Bizub (Basking Ridge), and Kirstein Balao (Bound Brook)
Additionally, three students from Somerset County Vocational & Technical Schools have been selected as Presidential Service Award Recipients. The students who have been selected are: Ann Marie Masiello (Hillsborough), Brianna Broderick (Flemington), and Janum Shah (Belle Mead). These students will also be acknowledged on stage at the 53rd annual SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC) in June.
For more information contact James Strickhart at 908-526-8900, ext. 7169 or firstname.lastname@example.org.