CAMDEN, NJ — A rental assistance program, which was launched in October, has provided almost 600 Camden County residents with $2.3 million to pay back rent.
The funds are being provided to help those facing financial struggles or at risk of being evicted amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
Although there is approximately $1.7 million left in the pot, there are just five days to apply - with the deadline set for Dec. 8 at 11:59 p.m.
“Because this program utilizes CARES Act funding, we have to meet strict deadlines set by Congress in order to spend the funds we’ve been appropriated. If you are a renter who is eligible to take part in the program, submit your application as soon as possible and do not delay,” said Freeholder Director Lou Cappelli in a statement.
A county spokesman said that any funds not awarded to residents will be redirected to another use.
Applicants are eligible for as much as $4,000 to pay April-September 2020 rent. Although tenants apply, landlords receive the money.
“Renters are facing a very real crisis as back rent and penalties pile up after losing jobs or income through no fault of their own. This program is not a panacea, but the assistance has already lifted a significant amount of the burden from families throughout our community," continued Cappelli.
Below are the qualifications (provided by Camden County):
- Tenants cannot earn more than 80% of Average Area Median Income (AMI);
- Income limits by household size:
- 1-person, $54,150
- 2-person, $61,150
- 3-person, $69,600
- 4-person, $77,300
- 5-person, $83,500
- 6-person, $89,700
- Applicants will be required to provide proof of loss/reduction in employment or income;
- No duplication of funds will be permitted – apartments/landlords which are funded under the State’s tenant assistance program or Section 8 are not eligible;
- Landlords must agree to waive late fees and penalties accrued from April 2020 to September 2020; and
- Lease must have begun prior to 3/1/2020.
To apply visit: www.CamdenRentGrant.com. If you have questions, call (833) 487-0462.