NEW JERSEY — Gov. Phil Murphy has signed an executive order permitting curbside pickup at non-essential businesses.
According to the order, "permitting curbside pickup at non-essential retail businesses is reasonable in that it avoids unnecessary contact between customers and staff in enclosed spaces, and instead only allows for the similar amount of limited contact that might happen when products are being delivered to a residence".
Murphy, who signed the order Wednesday, reminded residents that “we aren't out of the woods, yet.”
"When compared to other states, we see that New Jersey still bears a significant burden from COVID-19", said Murphy on Twitter. "So, keeping up with social distancing is essential as we move forward".
The order permits non-essential retail businesses to allow curbside pickup of goods, beginning at 6 a.m. Monday, but businesses must continue to have their in-store operations closed to customers. Businesses that choose to offer curbside pickup must abide by the requirements in the order, which include but are not limited to the following:
- In-store operations should be limited to those employees who are responsible for the operations required for curbside pickup;
- Customer transactions should be handled in advance by phone, email, facsimile or other means that avoid person-to-person contact;
- Customers shall notify the retailer by text message, email, or phone once they arrive, or make best efforts to schedule their arrival time in advance. The customer should be asked to remain in their vehicle, if arriving by car, until store staff delivers the purchase;
- Designated employees should bring goods outside of the retail establishment and place goods directly in a customer's vehicle when possible, avoiding person-to-person contact; and
- Such businesses must follow social distancing and mitigation practices outlined in previous orders, including requiring workers to wear cloth face coverings when in contact with other workers or customers and gloves when in contact with goods or customers.