CAMDEN, NJ — A Lawnside woman in her 80s was one of eight coronavirus deaths announced by the Camden County health department Monday. 

A Camden man in his 60s also became the municipality's 70th fatality linked to the respiratory illness.   

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of these most recent victims," said Freeholder Director Lou Cappelli this afternoon. "Every life lost to this virus is a tragedy, and we are wishing a fast and full recovery to each of our residents who recently tested positive for COVID-19.”

Sign Up for Camden Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The totals were updated over the weekend after an additional 103 positive cases were confirmed: 8,964 total cases and 546 deaths.

Trace investigations are currently underway for the new cases. On Saturday, Cappelli stated on Twitter that 90% of known COVID-19 patients in Camden County contracted the virus from someone in their home. 

Earlier in the day, Gov. Phil Murphy announced he would continue to halt the loosening of coronavirus restrictions since New Jersey's rate of transmission (Rt) has been climbing.

The increase in Rt [is], "signaling that this virus is once again beginning to make its way through New Jersey communities at a dangerous rate," Cappelli said. "We have to do everything in our power to stop coronavirus from regaining a foothold in our community."

Below are the additional deaths announced Monday:

New Case 1:

 

MALE,

 

50s,

 

WATERFORD

 

New Case 2:

 

MALE,

 

60s,

 

CAMDEN

 

New Case 3:

 

MALE,

 

70s,

 

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP

 

New Case 4:

 

MALE,

 

70s,

 

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP

 

New Case 5:

 

FEMALE,

 

80s,

 

LAWNSIDE

 

New Case 6:

 

FEMALE,

 

90s,

 

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP

 

New Case 7:

 

FEMALE,

 

60s,

 

PENNSAUKEN

 

New Case 8:

 

FEMALE,

 

80s,

 

LINDENWOLD

 

Find TAPinto Camden on Facebook and Twitter. Download the TAPinto mobile app for Android or iOS.