CAMDEN, NJ—Happy Fourth of July.
During the Revolutionary War, the City of Camden's location across the Delaware River from Philadelphia all but guaranteed the war would make its way to the city's grounds. Here are three things you may not have know about Camden and its role in the Revolutionary War:
1. At the time of the war, the area was not yet known as the City of Camden — it was called Coopers Ferry. According to the Camden County website, in 1764 Jacob Cooper had purchased the land for subdivision, however, only three homes were built between Third Street and the Cooper River until well after the Revolutionary War. At the time, a ferry operated by the Cooper family was one of the earliest means of transportation between the two colonies of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
2. During the British Army's occupation of Philadelphia from September of 1777 to June of 1778, troops from British Army would often cross the river and land at Coopers Ferry to forage for food. According to revolutionarywarnewjersey.com, the Hessians landed at Cooper's Ferry enroute to the Battle of Red Bank; and its where the British Army landed when the abandoned Philadelphia to march to New York, which would lead to the Battle of Monmouth.
3. The Benjamin Cooper House, located at the intersection of Point and Erie streets, served as the headquarters for British Lieutenant Colonel James Abercrombie in 1777 and 1778. It was later turned into a saloon known as the "Old Stone Jug," and is currently being preserved.