CAMDEN, NJ—Two Camden County Police Department detectives are now recovering after being ambushed and shot on Tuesday night in what the CCPD chief called a "completely unprovoked" attack.

At about 8:30 p.m. the plain-clothes detectives were in an unmarked vehicle waiting on a red light at the intersection of Mt. Vernon Street and Broadway when two walked up and 10 to 25 rounds were fired into the detectives' vehicle, at close range and through the windshield, according to a release from the Camden County Prosecutor's Office on Wednesday afternoon. CCPD Chief Scott Thompson said Tuesday night that one of the detectives was able to return fire before the man fled the scene.

The detectives were transported to Cooper University Hospital where they are being treated for non-life threatening injuries and are expected to make a full recovery, Thompson said, "by the Grace of God." According to the prosecutor's office, the two officers have both been placed on administrative leave pending the result of its investigation.

Sign Up for E-News

It did not appear anybody else in the area was shot, and it is unknown if the suspect was shot, Thompson said. The CCPD is in contact with area hospitals as part of a "rapidly unfolding investigation to identify and apprehend the perpetrators that are responsible," Thompson said. The investigation is being handled by the prosecutor's office, as required by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office guidelines whenever there is a municpal police officer involved in a shooting. The CCPD will not be involved in the investigation.

If anyone has any information regarding the incident, please contact Camden County Prosecutor’s Office Sergeant Vince McCalla 856-225-8569.

Earlier in the night, the CCPD participated in National Night Out, a nationwide campaign that promotes community policing. Officers were out and about at four parks throughout the city meeting and spending time with the city's residents.

"It is not lost on us that tonight, of all nights, that this happened to our officers," Thompson said at a press conference on the scene Tuesday night. "Unfortunately, on a night when we were supposed to be celebrating safety, two of our detectives were engaged as victims."

The incident is still under investigation and police are still trying to identify and find the shooter.