CAMDEN, NJ — Camden County said Monday that 58 deaths linked to COVID-19, which took place between April 13 and May 30, had been previously unaccounted for.
"The state has updated and reviewed additional records and learned that there were 58 additional Covid-19 related deaths...a total of 410 victims are now confirmed," Freeholder Director Lou Cappelli said, in asking the public join him in prayer.
The health department also announced 109 additional cases since Friday. The countywide total is now 7,389.
The backlog is comprised of cases entered into systems like the Communicable Disease Reporting and Surveillance Systems (CDRSS) and the Electronic Death Reporting System (EDRS), "days or weeks after the confirmed date of death, and cases where the cause of death was re-categorized from a 'probable' relation to COVID-19 to 'confirmed,'" the county explained in a statement.
Congressman Donald Norcross. Camden County Police Chief Joe Wysocki, and Cappelli will provide more COVID-19 updates during a live-streamed press conference Tuesday at 10 a.m.
“This pandemic represents a rapidly changing situation, so we are continuing to maintain an open dialogue with our residents to keep them armed with up-to-date guidance and critical resources,” said Cappelli. “Our goal is the same as it has been since March, and that is to keep our community safe, to keep our residents healthy, to stop the spread of coronavirus, and ultimately to save lives.”
The virtual press briefing will be available at camdencounty.com/live.