CAMDEN, NJ — Four additional cases of the novel coronavirus were announced in Camden County on Wednesday.

New Jersey Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli announced five cases during a press conference this afternoon, but county officials later told TAPinto Camden that the fifth was a female who listed her address in the county but in fact resided in Woodbridge. 

Although the figures are incomplete, Persichilli noted, the county's total stands at 7 as of this report. 

Sign Up for Camden Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The new cases are as follows:

  • New Patient 1: Male, 40s, Cherry Hill. Self-isolating at home with exposure only to his family, no community contact, no travel history.
  • New Patient 2: Male, 50s, Cherry Hill. Self-isolating at home. Family exposures only with no community exposures and no travel history.
  • New Patient 3: Male, 40s, Cherry Hill. Self-isolating at home and only had family exposure, no community exposure.  
  • New Patient 4: Female, 60s, Pine Hill. Exposure investigation is just starting. The patient is being treated at the hospital. 

On Tuesday, county officials reported that the first patient in Camden County to test positive for COVID-19, a 61-year-old Cherry Hill man, has since fully recovered.

The other two cases are a woman from Cherry Hill and another from Haddon Township.

State health officials also announced an additional 162 cases in New Jersey. 

At least 427 positive cases have been confirmed in the state.

“As testing volume increases, we are going to see the number of cases in our community continue to increase,” said Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli.

An additional 27 cases in Bergen County, which currently has the most of any county in New Jersey, adds up to 114. As part of efforts to expand test services, a site will be set up in Bergen County this Friday — prioritizing healthcare workers and first responders. 

Gov. Phil Murphy reported two additional deaths, bringing the state's total to five so far. 

"Sadly, we have learned of two additional deaths related to cases of COVID-19. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families during this difficult time," Murphy said. 

In response to some feedback the state has received over its guidelines, he said, "I take personal responsibility for the public health and safety of New Jersey. If you are unhappy about our aggressive social distancing measures, I’m sorry. But your safety is my highest priority."

At this time Camden County and the city are in a state of emergency.

“It is critical at this moment that everyone takes this threat extremely seriously. Social distancing, staying home as much as possible and avoiding contact with others, is the only way we will be able to slow the spread of this disease and reduce the toll this pandemic has on our community," Cappelli said. "As we have with our first three cases, we are continuing to work with the New Jersey Department of Health to identify individuals who may have been in contact with anyone confirmed of having contracted the illness.”

This article will be updated as more information becomes available. Please keep checking back.

Find TAPinto Camden on Facebook and Twitter. Download the TAPinto mobile app for Android or iOS.