- Start Early!!
- Visit Schools – even if you think your parents are annoying on campus tours.
- Buckle Down – grades matter (every year and throughout senior year!)
- Write Your Own Essay – don’t tell the college what you think they want to hear. Be yourself; tell your story.
- Prepare for your Standardized Tests – every little bit helps so get comfortable with sitting for four hours straight!
- Get to Know your Teachers and Counselor – the better they know and understand you, the better your letters of recommendation will capture the essence of you!
- Get Involved – find activities you love doing and become an active participant and leader. Colleges want students who will make an impact on campus.
- Create a Well-Balanced College List – just because you think you have a chance of getting into a school doesn’t mean it’s the right place for you. Remember, college is more than just academics!
- Use Naviance – it’s an awesome tool to understand acceptance statistics at a college, keep track of your college list, and research colleges.
- Talk about other things with your friends and family aside from college – it will help with stress management!
Thank you so much to those Admit U grads who shared their advice! The college admissions process, from freshman through senior year, can seem daunting but you are not alone. Getting advice from upperclassmen is always helpful and Admit U Consulting is available with a host of resources and assistance!
This column offers college preparation information and advice for freshman just beginning to think about college, seniors in the thick of completing applications and essays, and students who are somewhere in between.
Admit U Consulting, LLC, established in 2003, is a college planning firm that provides individualized and comprehensive services designed to help families navigate the college admissions process. As professionals in the field, Admit U counselors provide the expertise, a hands-on and individualized approach, and the knowledge of current admissions trends necessary to help students and families make informed decisions. All Admit U counselors are currently working in educational settings and also hold certificates in College Counseling.
Admit U focuses on helping students find the "best fit" school, while minimizing the anxiety associated with the process and maximizing the student's potential for admission.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.