CHATHAM, NJ - A small kitchen fire that was extinguished quickly blocked traffic on Lafayette Avenue in Chatham Borough for hours Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters from Chatham Borough, Chatham Township, Madison and Florham Park responded to a report of a structure fire at 85 Lafayette Avenue.

"It appears to be a small kitchen fire," Doug Allan, Chatham Borough Fire Chief, said. "Nobody has been taken to the hospital at this time. Everybody is safe. I don't know the exact details, so I don't want to speculate on the cause of the fire. It was under control in 20 minutes."

Sign Up for E-News

Scott Nelson, a Lafayette Avenue resident, came out to greet his son walking home from school, and reported that the fire originated from the oven.

"Basically, someone turned on the stove and went upstairs," Nelson said. "When they came down to put something in the oven, that's when the fire started."