Health & Wellness

Chatham Officials Warn of Added Danger to Homeowners When it Snows

7a9158ff059e0b3436c4_2e5aab4040cb4829c3e5_Allan.JPG
Chatham Borough Fire Chief Doug Allan reminds people to clear vents during a snow storm Credits: TAP Chatham
24b78c0b8a1418704b07_4d2ef8fd820fe05b9c3f_IMG_1469.JPG
A clothes dryer vent that is this low can be blocked by snow and possibly cause a fire
3ae23431928533172007_dabe2a83f818f4b1f3c8_From_Skitch.jpg
A furnace exhaust can become blocked by the snow and send carbon monoxide back into the house
c8f9a06974c4484b15a4_IMG_1478.JPG
How to clear a fire hydrant so that the firefighters can have access during an emergency
4d06e3b411cd0f14b5b6_de62b5fdc7c3e922ffc9_Nugent.JPG
Chatham Fire Marshall Walter Nugent advises all to check their carbon monoxide detectors Credits: TAP Chatham
7a9158ff059e0b3436c4_2e5aab4040cb4829c3e5_Allan.JPG

CHATHAM, NJ - The call came Saturday night during the blizzard. A carbon monoxide detector had gone off in a Chatham Borough home and the residents were in danger of having the heat shut off by PSE&G.

The call told Chatham Borough Fire Chief Doug Allan that snow can cause a number of dangerous situations that residents need to know about. The problem that night was a blocked gas furnace exhaust vent.

"The vapor traveled up the siding, up into the second-floor bedroom, where 50 parts per million of carbon monoxide (normal amount is up to 9 parts) was measured," Allan said. "The CO alarm activated. They had young kids and it could have started affecting them."

Sign Up for E-News

Allan and Chatham Borough Fire Marshall Walter Nugent advise all homeowners to check dryer vents and furnace exhausts to make sure that they are not blocked by the snow, returning carbon monoxide into the home.

"You want to have at least two Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home so if anything like this occurs, that's going to be the fail-safe to help you," Nugent said. "They're so important. Checking to make sure they are in working order is very important, too. That's why you need two, in case one is not working."

A simple action of just warming up your car in the driveway could cause a health problem if the tailpipe is blocked by snow.

"If someone were to just dig out their driveway and the car is running, you can get a dangerous amount of carbon monoxide in the car," Nugent said. "You want to clear around the tailpipe before you start the car."

Allan reported that Chatham Borough residents did a great job of clearing fire hydrants of snow. Chatham has 400 fire hydrants and residents cleared about 125 of them, making access by the fire department much easier.

Nugent also warned that in case of a power outage, portable generators should be placed at least 20 feet away from any opening in the house.

 

 

 

 

 

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Chatham

Mike Czech – One of Chatham’s Hidden Gems….

On a warm sunny day, back in 2008, at Southern Boulevard Elementary School stood a very tall man (6.5” to be exact!), soft-spoken, warm and friendly as he was surrounded by a whole group of children running around him (at his knees).

His name was Mike Czech and he was teaching the kids how to play a game on the open court.   I introduced myself to help assist him as a fellow ...

SURVIVING A STROKE: Quick Medical Response Gives Mom Her Life Back

Carotid artery dissection. It’s one of the most common causes of stroke in younger adults.

And while you might not associate the word “stroke” with younger patients, the condition – if not treated immediately – could lead to paralysis and even death.

Lindsey Singh can attest to the importance of immediacy. The 31-year-old mother of two from Flanders experienced ...

AtlantiCast

AtlantiCast: Episode 15

On this week’s AtlantiCast, learn some important tips for controlling and avoiding diabetes from an Atlantic Health System expert, see how Atlantic Health is advancing cutting-edge research, hear what’s being done to keep health care environmentally friendly and much more!

 

Chatham High Tech Club Places Third at Thomas Edison Invention Challenge

May 25, 2018

The Tech Club at Chatham High School placed third in the 8th annual Thomas Edison Invention Challenge this year.

To a festive crowd of parents, students, teachers and invited guests, the winners of the Thomas Edison Invention Challenge were announced and celebrated at the Thomas Edison National Historical Park (“Edison Park”).

The contest celebrated inventors from across the ...