Police & Fire

Chatham Police: Chatham Street House Fire Caused by Electric Space Heater

14bae26b2a1ca6d023e0_d5eddd5a34c076ded548_firecause.JPG
Chatham Borough Police report that an electric space heater ignited the house fire at 109 Chatham Street on Tuesday Credits: TAP Chatham
14bae26b2a1ca6d023e0_d5eddd5a34c076ded548_firecause.JPG

CHATHAM, NJ -  On Jan. 31 at 10:33 a.m., the Chatham Borough Police Department and the Chatham Fire Department responded to 109 Chatham Street on a report of smoke coming from the roof of the house. The smoke condition was reported by a neighbor, who stated that the residents were not home, but there was a dog inside.

The fire department made entry into the home and the dog was corralled and placed in a patrol car to keep warm. The fire was found to be in the walk-in closet of the master bedroom on the second floor. Apparently, a small electric space heater was left on in the closet, which was the ignition source. It is unknown if the heater malfunctioned, a piece of clothing fell on it, or if it was left too close to combustibles. The damage to the home was such that the family was forced to find shelter elsewhere.

Also providing assistance at the scene was the Chatham Emergency Squad, the Chatham Township Fire Department, and the Madison Fire Department.

Report prepared by Kevin O'Shea of the Chatham Borough Police Department

TAP Into Another Town's News:

Sign Up for E-News

Chatham

Mike Czech – One of Chatham’s Hidden Gems….

On a warm sunny day, back in 2008, at Southern Boulevard Elementary School stood a very tall man (6.5” to be exact!), soft-spoken, warm and friendly as he was surrounded by a whole group of children running around him (at his knees).

His name was Mike Czech and he was teaching the kids how to play a game on the open court.   I introduced myself to help assist him as a fellow ...

SURVIVING A STROKE: Quick Medical Response Gives Mom Her Life Back

Carotid artery dissection. It’s one of the most common causes of stroke in younger adults.

And while you might not associate the word “stroke” with younger patients, the condition – if not treated immediately – could lead to paralysis and even death.

Lindsey Singh can attest to the importance of immediacy. The 31-year-old mother of two from Flanders experienced ...

AtlantiCast

AtlantiCast: Episode 15

On this week’s AtlantiCast, learn some important tips for controlling and avoiding diabetes from an Atlantic Health System expert, see how Atlantic Health is advancing cutting-edge research, hear what’s being done to keep health care environmentally friendly and much more!

 

Chatham High Tech Club Places Third at Thomas Edison Invention Challenge

May 25, 2018

The Tech Club at Chatham High School placed third in the 8th annual Thomas Edison Invention Challenge this year.

To a festive crowd of parents, students, teachers and invited guests, the winners of the Thomas Edison Invention Challenge were announced and celebrated at the Thomas Edison National Historical Park (“Edison Park”).

The contest celebrated inventors from across the ...