CHATHAM, NJ - Both Chatham Township and Chatham Borough fire departments responded to a second-floor fire at 109 Chatham Street in the borough on Tuesday morning, where a family dog was rescued by police.

Homeowners Mark and Caitlin Shadek were both at work when the fire was reported by a neighbor. According to Caitlin Shadek, the Chatham couple's two young children were in daycare and only the Labrador/Husky mix "Weasley" was home. 

"No one was hurt and the fire is out," Doug Allan, Chatham Borough Fire Chief, said. "Now comes the investigation into what happened."

Sign Up for E-News

Firefighters broke a second-floor window on the outside of what was described by the homeowner as a "walk-in closet," to let the smoke escape. A single fire hose was carried up the main staircase to extinguish the fire.

Chatham Borough Fire Marshal Walter Nugent and Chatham Borough Police Officer Roy George were the first to respond.

"We went around the back and the fire marshal forced in the door and we got the dog out of the kitchen," George said.

Chatham firefighters survey the scene from the roof of the Chatham Street home