CHATHAM, NJ - The boys basketball game between Chatham and visiting Mendham turned into a scoring duel between 5-9 Cougar guard Mac Bredahl and Mendham's 6-6 forward Connor Murphy.
It was no contest. Bredahl won by a knockout.
The senior guard put on, perhaps, the best offensive show of his sparkling career, with a personal high of 32 points in fueling Chatham's 65-46 victory over the Minutemen on Friday night.
"Unbelievable. You watch him long enough and you don't think he's going to amaze you, but he played great today," Chatham coach Todd Ervin said.
Bredahl was the catalyst throughout the game for Chatham (7-2), connecting on all seven of his 3-pointers and also completing two three-point plays on what can only be described as "Mac-like" acrobatic drives to the basket. He ended by shooting 84.6 percent from the floor in the game, sinking 11 of 13 shots. Murphy led Mendham (1-7) with 25 points.
Mac Bredahl talks about his career-high 32 points vs. Mendham
A sign that it was Bredahl's night came early in the third quarter when he banked in a 3-pointer from the top of the key.
"When you bank one in, you take it," Ervin said. "(Mac's offense) was all in the flow, he was sharing the ball. We got a lot of good looks."
Bredahl's highlights included:
- An offensive rebound that he dribbled out of a crowd before turning it into a 3-pointer in the first quarter
- A fake that completely fooled his defender on the way to a layup in the first
- A no-look pass to Jack Rooney on a fast break that resulted in a basket in the second
- A steal and drive for a falling basket as he was fouled, completing a 3-point play with 46 seconds left in the second
- A banked-in 3-pointer from up top in the third
- A 3-pointer in the final minute of the third that gave Chatham a 47-35 lead
- A baseline drive in which he drew contact before tossing in the layup as he was fouled, completing the three-point play and his 32-point night with 2:14 left in the fourth quarter
Bredahl puts on one of his dribbling exhibitions before Jack Rooney hits this fade away jumper for Chatham in the fourth quarter
Bredahl steps out and hits one of his seven 3-pointers in the game
Ryan Doherty scored two of his 14 points on this drive to the basket for Chatham
COUGAR NOTES: Mac Bredahl scoring by quarter was 8-6-9-9 for his 32 points ... Bredahl's only misses were his first shot taken in the second quarter, a free throw in the second and a desperation shot before the buzzer sounded in the third quarter ... Chatham sank 12 3-pointers in the game, including two apiece by Ryan Doherty and Chris Conlin and one by Jack Rooney ... Bredahl was one 3-pointer shy of equaling the Cougar record of 8 3-pointers in the game set by Rooney, which he has done twice.