CHATHAM, NJ - Smoke filled the Fairmount Country Store on Tuesday morning, due to a possible electrical malfunction, according to the initial report by the Chatham Township Police.

At approximately 7:51 a.m., Chatham Township patrol units and the Chatham Township Fire Department, Chatham Borough Fire Department, Green Village Fire Department and the Chatham Emergency Squad responded to the Fairmount Country Store located at 765 Fairmount Avenue for a reported fire.

Upon arriving at the scene, patrol units met with the store manager, who stated that when he entered the store it was filled with smoke. The manager was able to extinguish the fire prior to the arrival of patrol and responding fire units.

Sign Up for E-News

Patrol units assisted with evacuating the occupants on the second floor of the building. The fire appears to have been due to an electrical malfunction.

Report prepared by Lt. Thomas Miller of the Chatham Township Police Department