On September 8 at 8:12 AM, the Chatham Borough Police Department and the Chatham Borough Fire Department responded to Dunbar Street on a report of a working house fire. On arrival there were visible flames and smoke coming from the house and the Madison and Chatham Township Fire Departments were called for assistance. The husband and wife owners were home at the time and were able to escape unharmed along with their two dogs. A smoke detector alerted the residents to the fire. After the fire was extinguished, the fire inspector was able to determine that the fire apparently started in a guest bedroom outlet. It appears that the outlet ignited the bedding leading to the blaze.