I'm Starting a New Business and Looking for an Accountant


Q: I am starting a new business and am looking for an accountant – what questions should I be asking? How should my business be structured?

A:            The structure of your business (corporation, partnership, limited liability company or sole proprietorship) is a commonly asked question.  Each person’s situation is different and choosing the right structure for your business is important.  If you choose to be a corporation, you would need an attorney to complete the incorporation with the State.  Your CPA would obtain the taxpayer identification number from the Internal Revenue Service. And complete the registration for taxes with the State.   The taxpayer identification number is needed in order to open a bank account, file income tax returns, payroll tax returns and, if applicable, sales tax returns.

What type of Taxes do I need to file?

Sign Up for E-News

Income Taxes

At a minimum each business reports their revenue and expenses to the federal and state governments annually.   If your business has been established as a sole proprietor or a single member LLC, this information is included in your personal income tax return (1040) which is due each year on April 15th.  A six month extension can be filed and the due date would become October 15th.  Keep in mind that the tax is still due by April 15th.  The extension is only an extension of time to file, not pay.

If your business has been established as a C Corporation or S Corporation, the tax returns are due on March 15th.  A six month extension can be filed and the due date for the tax return becomes September 15th.

If your business structure has been established as a general or limited partnership or as a limited liability company, the tax return is due on April 15th each year.  A five month extension can be filed and the due date for the tax return becomes September 15th.

Please keep in mind that estimated tax payments need to be made throughout the year and that all tax liabilities must be paid in full by the initial due date of the returns.  The federal and state governments charge penalties and interest for late payments and late filings.

Annual Reports

With regard to NJ, on the anniversary of the date that the business was registered with the State of NJ, an annual report needs to be completed on line.  This registration contains the information about the company and the company’s owners.  There is an annual fee of $50.

Payroll Taxes

If your business will have employees, you will need to register for payroll taxes with both the federal and state governments.  Deposits should be made for the employee withheld and employer payroll taxes on whatever basis is appropriate and dependent on the amount withheld. .  At the completion of each quarter (March, June, September and December), there are payroll reports that need to be filed: Federal 941, NJ-927 and WR-30.

What information do I need to give to my accountant?

The accountant needs information in order to prepare tax returns.  A tax return is required annually.  It is always best to provide summarized information that is categorized to the accountant.  This should enable the accountant to quickly review and complete a tax return.  Our firm recommends using QuickBooks to record income and expense items.  It can be used like a checkbook to record deposits and checks written.  Each transaction includes an account field.  The summarized transactions are categorized into a Profit and Loss statements report (January 1st to December 31).   QuickBooks also has an easy way to use the bank reconciliation feature.


If your new business will have employees, there are several forms that need to be completed and retained by you (the employer).    The W-4 form indicates the number of exemptions that will be used for the withholding purposes.  Additionally, the Employment Verification Form (I-9) needs to completed.  These forms should be kept in the employees’ personnel folders along with the employment application.  New Jersey has a requirement that they be notified about a new hire in a company.  This needs to be reported to the State of New Jersey within 20 days after the employee is hired.

Bank Accounts

Bank accounts can only be opened after the company has been registered and a taxpayer identification number has been received.  One bank account should be opened that will receive the income deposits and pay the expenses.  A second bank account is recommended for payroll tax payments.

What other services does an accountant provide?

Accountants prepare financial statements, consulting services, and business valuations, to name a few.  Financial statements are usually prepared in conjunction with a bank loan.  Accountants can assist in preparing analyses that can be used for revenue growth, cost savings and tax planning.

How do you charge your fees?

This is a good question to ask anyone from whom you will be receiving services.  Each business has a methodology for charging for their services.  Accountants usually charge based on the amount of time expended.  This includes preparation of accounting records (if not completed in QuickBooks), tax returns (both income tax and payroll taxes), and consulting services, such as the time spent on the phone  requesting clarification or discussing items needed to complete returns.

Establishing a working relationship with your CPA involves on-going communication and will result in a rewarding partnership that will assist with the running of your business.


Kim Forrester, CPA/CGMA is a member of the certified public accounting firm of Levine, Jacobs & Company, LLC. She can be reached at kforrester@ljcpa.com


Client focused, results oriented, we pride ourselves on the philosophy that “every account receives the expertise of the whole firm.” The partners at Levine, Jacobs & Company are true working partners with strong commitments to exceptional client service. We are hands-on and heavily involved with every aspect of our clients’ financial lives. Clients are matched with the partners best suited to their business and circumstances, ensuring the best possible service.

The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News


A Week at the Library of The Chathams Monday, February 19 – Sunday, February 25, 2018


By Galina Natenzon

Friends of the Library are continuing their book collection in preparation for Annual Book Sale.  Kids are off from school on Monday for Presidents’ Day – bring them to the library!  We have plenty for them to do.  For adults, Professor Licklider’s second lecture on North Korea will take place on Tuesday.  The ...

A Week at the Library of The Chathams - Monday, February 5 – Sunday, Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Week at the Library of The Chathams

Monday, February 5 – Sunday, Sunday, February 11, 2018


By Galina Natenzon

Friends of the Library book collection continues.  The tax season is here, and dedicated volunteers are here to help you with you tax returns!

For information about all programs or to sign up, please call the library at 973‑635‑0603 or go to ...

Imagine a Chatham Toboggan Ride from the Top of Fairmount Avenue to Main Street

Did you know….
there was a time when Chatham kids could ice skate from downtown Chatham all the way to Florham Park? And that a toboggan ride could last from the top of Fairmount Avenue down to Main Street and beyond?

Those were the days!

This was back in the early to mid-1900s. The Passaic River meandered through grassy meadows and woods on the north side of Chatham. The marshy ...


February 20, 2018

To the Editor,

I told my daughter I needed to write about gun violence. Know what she told me? “Mom, be sure you’re not too polarizing. People won’t listen.” She’s right. At age eleven she’s figured out that we adults need to be reminded how to speak to one another in order to fix a problem. But I have hope and belief that we can fix that discourse in our ...


AtlantiCast: Episode 12

On this week’s episode of AtlantiCast, decade of excellence makes headlines, as Atlantic Health’s place on Fortune Magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For List leads off the newest episode of AtlantiCast. Also on this week’s show, check out the newest “hybrid” operating room at Morristown Medical Center and find out how Atlantic Health is helping local ...

AtlantiCast Medical Minute: Atlantic Orthopedic Institute’s Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity Center

On this episode of the AtlantiCast Medical Minute, we’ll take you inside the Atlantic Orthopedic Institute’s Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity Center, with the center’s director, Jason Lowenstein, MD.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7euCp86-c

AtlantiCast Episode 011

Breaking Atlantic Health System news on this week’s AtlantiCast! Plus, find out why Morristown Medical Center is one of the best hospitals in the nation when it comes to recovering from joint surgery, see the newest center for fighting brain cancer and an Atlantic Health System red-carpet premiere!


Mindfulness and Meditation Courses Beginning March 2018

February 20, 2018

Mindfulness and Meditation Courses Beginning March 2018

-Space is limited as classes will be small-

MADISON, NJ – In celebration of the new spring season, come experience and enjoy Mindfulness and Meditation with Wendi L. Dumbroff, MA, LPC. Dumbroff is a Licensed Professional Counselor in private practice in Madison, New Jersey, where she specializes in individual, family, ...