After appearing in Municipal Court and pleading guilty to an offense, many people are uncomfortable with the outcome and contact the Law Office of Eric B. Morrell to ask about how to take their plea back.  This process is known as the withdrawal of a guilty plea.  In order to withdraw a plea, you must file a motion to vacate the plea and return your case to the trial calendar.  Under Rule 3:21-1 of the New Jersey Rules of Court and Rule 7:6-2(b) of the Municipal Court Rules, a motion to withdraw a guilty plea shall be made before sentencing, but the court may permit it to be made thereafter to correct a manifest injustice.  When taking back a plea, a key element is the amount of time that has passed since the entering of the plea to the filing of the motion.  As such, motions to vacate must be made immediately after the entering of a plea.

In evaluating whether a manifest injustice occurred sufficient to withdraw a plea, the New Jersey Supreme Court in State v. Slater, 198 N.J. 145 (2009), outlined four factors that trial courts should evaluate and balance when deciding such a motion. 

  1. Whether the Defendant has asserted a colorable claim of innocence
  2. The nature and strength of defendant’s reasons for withdrawal
  3. The existence of a plea bargain
  4. Whether withdrawal would result in unfair prejudice to the State or an unfair advantage to the accused.

In evaluating the above factors, some of the facts courts generally look to are, whether the defendant has a claim to innocence beyond a mere bald assertion, the reason(s) why the accused wants to take the plea back, whether the accused understood the substance of the charge and/or the ramifications of the charge, the complexity of the case, and the length of time the State will need to prepare to conduct a trial in the case, amongst other facts.

Sign Up for E-News

For instance, if when you enter into a plea, you were misinformed about a material element of the plea negotiation, or mistaken or unaware of the sentence to the charge you pled to, or did not understand the direct consequences of entering into the plea, the plea you entered into may be vacated. 

As an example, if you entered into a plea and were not informed by the prosecutor or the court that your sentence would include jail time and/or community service, then your plea may be vacated and put back on the trial calendar.  As this type of application is time sensitive, please contact our office immediately to begin preparing a motion to vacate. 

Our office is fully familiar with this procedure, as we have assisted numerous clients in the withdrawal of their guilty pleas.  If you have gone to municipal court and you pleaded guilty to a charge you were not comfortable with, please feel free to call our office to discuss your options. 

If you want to learn more about NJ legal issues and changes in the laws feel free to follow me on twitter at www.twitter/ or visit my website at

 The Guest Column is our readers' opportunity to write about a given issue or topic in an in-depth and educational manner.

The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of or anyone who works for is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News


A Week at the Library of The Chathams Monday, February 19 – Sunday, February 25, 2018


By Galina Natenzon

Friends of the Library are continuing their book collection in preparation for Annual Book Sale.  Kids are off from school on Monday for Presidents’ Day – bring them to the library!  We have plenty for them to do.  For adults, Professor Licklider’s second lecture on North Korea will take place on Tuesday.  The ...

A Week at the Library of The Chathams - Monday, February 5 – Sunday, Sunday, February 11, 2018

A Week at the Library of The Chathams

Monday, February 5 – Sunday, Sunday, February 11, 2018


By Galina Natenzon

Friends of the Library book collection continues.  The tax season is here, and dedicated volunteers are here to help you with you tax returns!

For information about all programs or to sign up, please call the library at 973‑635‑0603 or go to ...

Imagine a Chatham Toboggan Ride from the Top of Fairmount Avenue to Main Street

Did you know….
there was a time when Chatham kids could ice skate from downtown Chatham all the way to Florham Park? And that a toboggan ride could last from the top of Fairmount Avenue down to Main Street and beyond?

Those were the days!

This was back in the early to mid-1900s. The Passaic River meandered through grassy meadows and woods on the north side of Chatham. The marshy ...


February 20, 2018

To the Editor,

I told my daughter I needed to write about gun violence. Know what she told me? “Mom, be sure you’re not too polarizing. People won’t listen.” She’s right. At age eleven she’s figured out that we adults need to be reminded how to speak to one another in order to fix a problem. But I have hope and belief that we can fix that discourse in our ...


AtlantiCast: Episode 12

On this week’s episode of AtlantiCast, decade of excellence makes headlines, as Atlantic Health’s place on Fortune Magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For List leads off the newest episode of AtlantiCast. Also on this week’s show, check out the newest “hybrid” operating room at Morristown Medical Center and find out how Atlantic Health is helping local ...

AtlantiCast Medical Minute: Atlantic Orthopedic Institute’s Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity Center

On this episode of the AtlantiCast Medical Minute, we’ll take you inside the Atlantic Orthopedic Institute’s Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity Center, with the center’s director, Jason Lowenstein, MD.

Video Link:

AtlantiCast Episode 011

Breaking Atlantic Health System news on this week’s AtlantiCast! Plus, find out why Morristown Medical Center is one of the best hospitals in the nation when it comes to recovering from joint surgery, see the newest center for fighting brain cancer and an Atlantic Health System red-carpet premiere!


Mindfulness and Meditation Courses Beginning March 2018

February 20, 2018

Mindfulness and Meditation Courses Beginning March 2018

-Space is limited as classes will be small-

MADISON, NJ – In celebration of the new spring season, come experience and enjoy Mindfulness and Meditation with Wendi L. Dumbroff, MA, LPC. Dumbroff is a Licensed Professional Counselor in private practice in Madison, New Jersey, where she specializes in individual, family, ...