Business & Finance

Press Releases

Planning for a Special Needs Child or Grandchild

Credits: Chatham Wealth Management
Credits: Chatham Wealth Management
Credits: Chatham Wealth Management

Before she reached her second birthday, Julia was a smart, bleach blonde, blue eyed, “gifted” little girl. She could sing her ABC’s at an unusually young age. Soon after turning two, Epilepsy ravaged her body and mind. Julia is my niece and is legally disabled.

If you want to leave money or property to a loved one with a disability, you must plan carefully. Often, people with disabilities qualify for government assistance such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, vocational rehabilitation and subsidized housing. Many people make the mistake of leaving assets to their disabled loved ones through a will or as a named beneficiary from an IRA/life insurance policy. Acquiring assets such as lump sum of money can cause a disqualification of these types of government assistance programs.

Sign Up for E-News

Special Needs Trusts are made specifically for the benefit of a disabled or a mentally ill beneficiary. These beneficiaries lack the mental capacity to manage their own finances. The trust is created with the special needs, lifestyle and future of the beneficiary in mind. More importantly, Special Needs Trusts are used to ensure that the beneficiaries don’t lose government benefits they are receiving.

If you have a family member or loved one with special needs, simply leaving them a portion of your property in your will may not be enough. A special needs trust can help ensure they are properly taken care of.

According to Joanne Marcus, executive director of Commonwealth Community Trust (CCT), a nonprofit organization established in 1990 who provides administration of Special Needs Trusts, there are five steps to setting up a Special Needs Trust:

1) Understand the Need for a Trust: “in order to qualify for US government benefits, an individual can have no more than $2,000 in cash assets.”

2) Pick the Type of Trust That’s Right for Your Child: “Special Needs Trusts are funded by a third party, usually a close family member like a parent or grandparent, and can be coordinated with the family’s estate plan”.

3) Get Professional Help: “Because the regulations are complex and constantly changing, it’s important to select and surround yourself with attorney’s, financial planners or nonprofit that specializes in these types of trusts”

4) Choose a Trustee: “The trustee manages and invests the funds for the trust and makes disbursements

5) Choose an Advocate: “Especially in the case of a Special Needs Trust, an advocate is designated by the grantor (individuals funding the trust) and is someone who understands the grantors wishes and the beneficiary’s needs.

On August 7th, Julia turns 26. Still, she continues to experience epileptic seizures after 24 years. However, she remains our always happy, maybe not bleach but blonde, blue eyed, “special” little girl.

Enjoy your summer!

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News


A Week at the Library of The Chathams Monday, March 12 – Sunday, March 18, 2018


By Galina Natenzon

After the storm of the Annual Friends’ Book Sale (no, not the snowstorm), the library is returning to relative peace and quiet.  The sale continues with Bag Sale ($8 for a large bag of books) on Monday, Tuesday, and until most books are sold.

For information about all programs or to sign up, please call the library at 973‑635‑0603 or go ...

Proud of Chatham Township Residents During "Weather Events"

March 13, 2018

To the Editor

As I watch the next “Weather Event” cross my computer screen I am compelled not to roll my eyes in hopelessness to but reflect on the incredible response of helpfulness I have seen throughout the Chatham Township Community over the last several days. 

We are a rural community with dozen of miles of winding road yet we have seen our volunteer first ...


AtlantiCast: Episode 13

On this episode of AtlantiCast, new clinical studies in the fields of cardiology and immunotherapy, national and statewide recognitions for Atlantic Health System medical centers and the inaugural AtlantiCast Collab Challenge!


Soprano Anita Lyons Featured Soloist at Summit Symphony Concert Mar. 25

March 17, 2018

SUMMIT, NJ - The music of Grieg, Schumann ad Strauss will form the centerpiece of the next Summit Symphony Orchestra concert of the 2017-18 season, a performance which will take place March 25, beginning at 2 p.m., in the Summit High School Auditorium. Admission to all Summit Symphony concerts is free, with donations gratefully accepted. 

American Soprano ...