Municipal Offices Will Be Closed on Wednesday; Residents Are Reminded
To Stay Off Snow Covered Roads; No Overnight Street Parking; Contact JCP&L
Immediately If They Lose Power; Clear a Perimeter Around Fire Hydrants;
Follow the Township on Social Media For Updates
CHATHAM TOWNSHIP, NJ – March 20, 2018 – The Chatham Township Committee advised residents to take all necessary precautions in advance of Winter Storm Toby, which is expected to arrive this evening and continue through early Thursday morning.
Mayor Curt Ritter, speaking on behalf of the Committee, said, “While today may be the first day of spring Winter Storm Toby will soon be upon us and we remind residents to take all necessary precautions to prepare themselves. Once the Storm hits, residents should stay off the roads to allow for snow removal and to provide our first responders the ability to manage necessary emergencies. We encourage residents to register for Alert Chatham Township Now! (ACT Now!) and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to receive important updates.
“We also ask residents to check on their elderly neighbors, remove all cars from the street, and work with their neighbors to remove snow from around fire hydrants to ensure easy access by the Fire Department. As always, if residents lose power they should immediately call JCP&L at 1-888-544-4877, or Text OUT
to 544487 so that JCP&L is aware of the problem and they can work toward restoring power in an expeditious manner.”
Residents are reminded to register for Alert Chatham Township Now! (ACT Now!), Chatham Township’s emergency and community alerts at http://www.chathamtownship-nj.gov/resident-communications and to follow the Township on social media at www.facebook.com/chathamtownshipgovernment and www.twitter.com/ChathamTownship.
REPORT POWER OUTAGES IMMEDIATELY
Residents should report power outages to JCP&L by:
• Phone: 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877)
• Text: Text OUT to 544487 (register first by texting REG to 544487 (LIGHTS) to get started)
• Online: http://bit.ly/MrUGTg
• App: Download the free JCP&L app for your Apple® iPhone® and
• AndroidTM smartphone - use the keyword "FirstEnergy" to locate the apps in the online store.
HOW TO VIEW POWER OUTAGE UPDATES
Residents can view updated information on JCP&L’s outages, their storm restoration process, and tips for staying safe, by visiting http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html
DO NOT APPROACH DOWNED WIRES
Residents should report downed wires to 1-888-544-4877 or to the Police or Fire Department -- never go near a downed power line, even if you think it is no longer carrying electricity.
WINTER STORM SAFETY CHECKLIST
Residents can find winter safety tips at http://rdcrss.org/1aG0E7E
Residents are encouraged to prepare for the possibility of outages caused by
• Keep a flashlight and extra batteries handy. Use care when burning candles; open flames are a fire hazard.
• Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person. Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
• If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
• Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
• Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.
• Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when the power is out. If you have a smart phone, this will ensure you have access to online information sources.