Happy National Farmers' Market Week!
Farmers' markets are more than just an outlet for fresh produce and friendly farmers. Farmers Markets...
- Preserve America's rural livelihoods and farmland. Farmers markets provide one of the only low-barrier entry points for beginning farmers, allowing them to start small, test the market, and grow their businesses.
- Stimulate local economies. Growers selling locally create 13 full time farm operator jobs per $1 million in revenue earned. Those that do not sell locally create 3.
- Increase access to fresh, nutritious food. Several studies have found lower prices for conventional and organic produce at farmers markets than at supermarkets.
- Support healthy communities. Four out of five farmers selling at markets discuss farming practices with their customers, and three in five discuss nutrition and how to prepare food.
- Promote sustainability. Three out of four farmers selling at farmers markets say they use practices consistent with organic standards.
We are fortunate to have FIVE farms represented here at Chatham Borough Farmers' Market: Brown Leaves Farm, Humor Me Farm, Melick's Farm, Silver Lake Farm, and Snoep Winkel Farm.
What better way to show your support for our local farmers and food producers than shopping the market this weekend!