GARWOOD, NJ - The Arthur L. Johnson Athletic Department held their 2017 Senior Athletic Awards on Monday. The evening was held at the Westwood in Garwood and sponsored by the Crusader Athletic Booster Club.
“The Senior Athletic Awards are a wonderful event that allowed the administration, teachers, coaches, parents, and student athletes a chance to reflect on a wonderful four years competing as an Arthur L. Johnson High School Crusader while honoring our senior student athletes for their remarkable accomplishments. Although the contributions from this senior class were great and will be missed, we look forward to seeing what they can accomplish in college over the next four years,” said Gus Kalikas, Athletic Director.
All Senior Student Athletes, their teams, and their seasons were highlighted by their coaches. Over 100 senior athletes were given Booster Club Achievement Plaques which signify all of the sports programs that the senior athletes participated in throughout their high school career.
The following Arthur L. Johnson High School Seniors were acknowledged during the event for their plans to continue their academic and athletic careers at the collegiate level:
- Shannon Brogan (Softball – Moravian College – Greyhounds)
- Jennifer Casalino (Cheerleading – Villanova University – Wildcats)
- Vincent Crisafi (Football – Caldwell University – Cougars)
- Alexandra Dorey (Cheerleading – Sacred Heart University – Pioneers)
- Jonathan Duffy (Lacrosse – Kean University – Cougars)
- Gina Ferdinandi (Gymnastics – Suny Brockport – Golden Eagle)
- Nicholas Fischetti (Football – St. John Fisher College – Cardinal)
- Mia Lancellotti (Rugby – Penn State University – Nittany Lions)
- Tatiana Nieto (Soccer – Fairleigh Dickenson University – Devils)
- Erin Peters (Golf – Washington & Jefferson College – Presidents)
- Kaitlyn Prestinari (Field Hockey – Montclair State University – Red Hawks)
- Gianna Randazza (Softball – Boston College – Eagles)
- Ty Schafer (Ice Hockey – Southern New Hampshire University / Manchester University – New Hampshire Junior Monarchs)
- Deserae Sequeira (Soccer - St. Joseph’s College of Brooklyn – Bears)
The evening included the announcement of multiple awards and scholarships to this year’s graduating class including:
The Richard Superak Field Hockey Scholarship were awarded to Natalie Carnovale, Kaitlyn Prestinari, and Larissa Vena.
The Michael Murray Sr. Memorial was awarded to Shannon Brogan.
The Jeffrey Felter Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Michael Sot.
The Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference Scholarships were awarded to Vincent Campbell, Vincent Crisafi, Jonathan Duffy, Nicholas Fischetti, Janelle Pyar, Deserae Sequeira and Brendan Stanzione.
The recipients for the Outstanding Athlete Awards were (Female Athlete) Gina Ferdinandi and (Male Athlete) Vincent Crisafi.
The recipients for The Book Scholarships were (Female Athlete) Payton Wiese and (Male Athlete) Cameron Hund.
The Thomas Santaguida Sportsmanship Scholarship recipients were (Female Athlete) Jennifer Casalino and (Male Athlete) Ray Williamson.