CLARK, NJ – The annual Arthur L. Johnson High School Alumni Association’s Scholarship and Hall of Fame dinner was held on May 5 at the Gran Centurions.
Over 185 guests attended to support the association's 2016 Hall of Fame inductees and the four high school scholarship winners.
“I was overwhelmed by the number of people attending the dinner and the warm greeting that each inductee received,” ALJ Alumni Association President Art Lundgren said.
Scholarship chairperson Dolores Toth introduced the recipients of the 2016 scholarships:
- Kelsey Briskest (ALJHS Alumni Association Scholarship)
- Amanda Banek ( Susan Bakum '61 Carovillano Scholarship)
- Joseph Scardilli (Donald Storms '59 Scholarship)
- Andrew Kamichoff (Ralph Marano, Sr. '65 Scholarship)
ALJ Principal and alumnus Richard Delmonaco introduced each of the 2016 Hall of Fame inductees and presented each with a plaque and a Crusader blanket. The inductees were:
- Mildred Midriff (Distinguished Faculty)
Award accepted by Al Lundgren
- Eugene Castagna ‘63 (Accomplished Professional)
- Meg Columbia-Walsh ‘81 (Accomplished Professional)
- Steve Shohfi ‘71 (Crusader Pride)
- Vincent and Eileen Vaccaro ‘72 (Community Contributors)
- Art Lundgren ‘59 (Volunteer/Crusader Pride)
While Shohfi was introduced, his song "To Be A Crusader" played. In addition, all the guests honoring Midriff sang "The Lord Bless You and Keep You” led by Phil Frowery.
The emcees for the evening were Delmonaco and Lundgren. The committee chairperson was Bettyanne Tortorello.
During the buffet dinner, attendees watched a video, edited by Phil Scardilli, that highlighted remarks made by previous Hall of Fame recipients.
In attendance were original Hall of Famers Dr. Ken Hauswald '63 and Alan Richer '72.
Representing the 2015 inductees were Henry Varriano '61 and Robert Kastner, a distinguished faculty member who taught at ALJ for over three decades.
To close the evening, Valerie (Kastner) Boyle lead the guests in the singing ALJ Alma Mater.