CLARK, NJ – Arthur L. Johnson High School students staged a walk out on June 15 to signify their unhappiness with the Clark Board of Education’s decision to move their current principal Rick Delmonaco to the district’s middle school in September.

According to participants, more than 60 students walked out of the school midday and staged a rally in support of Delmonaco.  Students took turns speaking about why they wanted to keep their principal. 

“The fact that so many students got up and spoke was great, many others were afraid to come out of the school in case they would get in trouble but they were watching from the windows, they shouldn’t be afraid to speak their mind,” said one ALJ student who attended the event.

Sign Up for E-News

The students that organized this event, prepared and communicated with their peers about the planned demonstration. According to one parent the students did their homework about their rights. 

“These kids really did their research, were informed, respectful and peaceful. The one thing they insisted on was abiding by the NJACLU rules  (American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey),” said the ALJ parent.     

This event was the latest in a series of actions taken by students to have their voices heard. Some students and their parents spoke out at the Board of Education meeting on June 13 about why Delmonaco should be permitted to stay at the high school. Another student rallied fellow students and presented a petition to the BOE with over 500 student signatures on it.

Clark BOE President Jill Curran and Superintendent Ed Grande spoke out earlier in the week reassuring the public that all decisions made are in the best interest of the students of the district.

(Videos Courtesy of ALJ Students)

--------------

TAPintoClark.net  is Clark’s official electronic news source and the only free daily paper. 

Sign up for our free daily enews.