UNION COUNTY, NJ -- The Union County Vocational-Technical Schools provides all Union County 8th grade students with the opportunity to apply to five full-time academy high schools: Academy for Allied Health Sciences, Academy for Information Technology (AIT), Academy for Performing Arts (APA), Union County Magnet School, and Union County Vocational-Technical High School (UC Tech).
These award-winning schools offer high-end academic coursework in combination with a unique career specialization. Three of the schools were ranked in the Top 10 High Schools in the state, according to U.S. News.
- Union County Academy for Allied Health Sciences develops confident, well-rounded students through challenging academic experiences, with exposure to various health career skills and occupations. It provides authentic interdisciplinary educational experiences that promote critical thinking skills. Leadership and collaboration experiences are cultivated and refined to meet the communities’ changing needs. Relevant technology is utilized to enhance future employment in a global society. The school embraces and embodies highest personal and professional standards.
- The Academy for Information Technology is a small, four-year career academy that fosters critical thinking skills in its culturally diverse student population. By stressing intellectual curiosity, hard work, ethical behavior, and technological expertise with business integration, the school community guides its students to achieve their greatest potential. AIT graduates are prepared academically, technologically, and interpersonally for the challenges of the future.
- The Union County Academy for Performing Arts immerses students in honors’ level academics while training in a pre-professional artistic setting with majors such as theatre, dance, or technical theatre. APA fosters the discipline, integrity and passion necessary for students to succeed at the post-secondary level and as members of the performing arts community. The program allows students to complete their senior year by taking college-level courses and receiving college credit at Kean University.
- The Union County Magnet High School for Science, Mathematics, and Technology prepares selected students of Union County to become self-directed, responsible, and productive individuals within the changing landscape of society. Its engineering-based specialized career academy emphasizes critical thinking, problem solving and leadership skills through a rigorous project-based curriculum.
- The Union County Vocational-Technical High School is committed to ensuring high standards and challenging opportunities to students through the integration of academic and technical training.
To learn more, 8th grade students and parents are encouraged to register for one of th Information Sessions, which are held throughout the fall. Students must pre-register here. Attendance at an Information Session is a required part of the application process to these prestigious schools. Application information is provided at Information Sessions only.
Step 2: Submit an application and transcripts. Applications for the Class of 2025 are due Friday, Dec. 11, 2020. There are no exceptions.
Step 3: Take an Admissions Exam. Students with a completed application by the stated deadline will be mailed more information regarding the admission exam in early January.
Step 4: APA Audition. Academically qualified students with APA Dance or Theater as a first choice will be invited to audition.