CLARK, NJ - The Clark Board of Education held a public meeting on Tuesday night in the Clark Council Chambers. A moment of silence was held in remembrance of Councilman Richard Kazanowski who died suddenly last week. The board acted upon a number of motions regarding personnel placements, transfers and coaching positions for the 2014-2015 school year. Other highlights included:
- Elementary teacher NinaMarie Sinicropi was approved to attend an Orton-Gillingham Comprehensive Training workshop.
- The 2014 school calendar was adjusted so that the last day of school for the teachers will coincide with the last day for students. Teachers will finish on June 19, 2014.
- School Business Administrator David Oliveira reported that renovations to the boys’ and girls’ main bathrooms in the high school will commence immediately after school ends for the year. The district received a Regular Operating District (ROD) grant from the state that will cover 40 per cent of the renovation. The project is anticipated to be completed before school opens in September.
- September teacher assignments will be handed out to students entering grades K to 5 on June 18. Move Up Day is June 19 and students will report to their new classrooms in order to meet their teachers and new classmates. June 16 through June 19 are half days.
- Student Board Member Justin Baceiro made his final report and extended his thanks to the administration and the Board of Education for the opportunity to serve.
During the public comments, resident Steven Donkersloot requested a status update on the creation of an Early Learning Center at St. Agnes School. Superintendent Kenneth Knops indicated that a tentative agreement had been reached with the Archdiocese of Newark pending approval of the St. Agnes Parish Council. Knops said that every effort would be made to replicate the classroom experience in the new building should the plans be finalized. Donkersloot questioned the ability to have everything in place by September 6. Members of the Board assured Donkersloot that plans and logistics are being worked on during the lease negotiations in order to implement the move successfully.