GARWOOD, NJ - On Monday, June 10 the Arthur L. Johnson Athletic Department held their 2019 Senior Athletic Awards. The evening was sponsored by the Crusader Athletic Booster Club.
Senior Student Athletes, their teams and their seasons were highlighted by coaches while awards were distributed. According to school officials, over 100 senior athletes were given a Booster Club Achievement Plaque, to signify all of the sports programs that the senior athletes participated in throughout their high school career.
Recognition was given during the event to those graduates that will be continuing their sports careers at the collegiate level. Those students, their sport and school are:
- Joseph Bencivenga (Golf – Immaculata University – The Mighty Macs)
- Thomas Bizzoco (Lacrosse – Stockton University – Ospreys)
- Eric Bretz (Lacrosse – Stockton University – Ospreys)
- Robert Dante (Film – Montclair University – Red Hawks)
- Sarah English (Soccer – Union County College – Owls)
- Camila Howard (Soccer –Rutgers Newark – Scarlet Raiders)
- Brandon Hund (Lacrosse – Towson Universty – Tigers)
- Sebastian Iakouchevitch (Lacrosse – Stockton University – Ospreys)
- Cecilia Puentes (Soccer – Pace University – Setters)
- Bailey Rosenmeier (Basketball – Middlesex County College – Blue Colts)
- Colleen Sullivan (Soccer – Robert Morris – Colonials)
- Natalya Torres (Track & Field – Monmouth University – Hawks)
- Amanda Zambrana (Field Hockey – Rider University – Broncs)
- Victoria Zatko (Softball –LaSalle University – Explorers)
The evening culminated with the announcement of multiple awards and scholarships. This year, the Jeffrey Felter Memorial Scholarship was expanded to recognize and honor the memory of Michael Sot, a former ALJ graduate and the 2017 recipient of this scholarship. The following awards were awarded:
- Richard Superak Field Hockey Scholarships were awarded to Alyssa Colicchio, Kaylee Parkhill, and Amanda Zambrana.
- The Jeffrey Felter Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Nicholas McCaffery.
- Investors Savings Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference Scholarships were awarded to Matthew Alongi, Jason Applin, Eric Bretz, Nicole Buczynski, Marcos Castro, Robert Dante, Joshua Hill, and Colleen Sullivan.
- ALJ Booster Club Outstanding Athlete Awards were: (Female Athlete) Natalya Torres and (Male Athlete) Sebastian Iakouchevitch.
- ALJ Booster Club Book Scholarship were: (Female Athlete) Kylee Zawacki and (Male Athlete) Anthony Bogash.
- Thomas Santaguida Sportsmanship Scholarships were awarded to: (Female Athlete) Hannah Brogan and (Male Athlete) Andrew Kehrle.
Did you know all the local news could have been delivered to you directly this morning? Sign up for enews here!