FANWOOD, SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ -- The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA hosts a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active on Sunday, May 15, from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
This year marks the 25th annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. The day-long event is designed not only to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home but to bring families together to have fun.
Healthy Kids Day helps kids stay active and keep learning all summer long. It will include: Family Zumba, dance, Tae Kwon Do, inflatables, open swim, arts and crafts, face painting, healthy snacks, activities such as planting, paper airplanes and Make Your Own Slime and more.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
For more information about Healthy Kids Day, please contact the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA at 908-889-8880 or visit fspymca.org.
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. For information on membership or programs, or to request a schedule of classes, please call the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA at (908) 889-8880 or visit the Y’s website at www.fspymca.org. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is an advertiser on TAP into Clark. For more information about advertising, contact email@example.com or at 732-447-8784.