CLARK, NJ – It was a celebration of the school's past and present as the Arthur L. Johnson High School Alumni Association held its fourth annual scholarship dinner and Hall of Fame induction on Thursday, May 7, 2015 at the Gran Centurions. 114 people attended the affair.
The alumni association was formed in 2009 to provide educational, instructional, and financial support to ALJ students. This year, through the generous support of its membership, the association funded three $1,000 scholarships for Class of 2015 ALJ students. The third scholarship awarded this year was named in honor of Donald Storms '59, a long time significant contributor.
Association President Art Lundgren proudly announced Louis Cacchione, Emily Kirk and Danielle Marzano as the ALJ Class of 2015 scholarship recipients.
"I look forward to attending the ALJ Alumni Association Hall of Fame Dinner every year. It's a great way to reconnect with fellow classmates while giving something back to my alma mater," Association Secretary Jill Curran said. "This year was especially significant to my family since my uncle, Ralph Marano, was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I encourage all ALJ alums to get involved in the Association."
The Hall of Fame was created by the ALJ Alumni Association in 2014 to recognize outstanding achievement by ALJ alumni in each of five categories.Representatives from the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 2000s joined the ranks of the school’s Hall of Fame. Inducted this year were:
- Robert Kastner (Distinguished Faculty) – ALJ Faculty from 1958 to 1984; Started the Distributive Education Program at ALJ which has evolved into the DECA program; shaped the lives of many students by providing opportunities in the business world and beyond.
- Thomas J. McManamy (Class of 1959 Accomplished Professional; Volunteer) Earned a BA in Political Science from Colgate University and went on to a successful business career as an executive with Canadair, a subsidiary of General Dynamics; Co-founder with Art Lundgren of the ALJ Alumni Association which has created a networking location for Arthur L. Johnson High School graduates.
- Henry Varriano (Class of 1961 Community Contributor) – Educator in the Elizabeth School District for thirty-eight years; Clark Board of Education member for twelve years and was instrumental in reviving the ALJ Marching Band; active member and past local president and District Governor for Clark UNICO; member of the Clark Township Library Board, Clark Memorial Day Parade Committee; and Robinson Plantation Society.
- Ralph Marano, Sr. (Class of 1965 Accomplished Professional/Community Contributor) – At ALJ he participated in the Auto Shop program and won the nationwide Plymouth Trouble Shooting Contest; Owner and Operator of Marano and Sons Auto Sales in Garwood for over forty years; is one of the premier Packard collectors in the world with over 85 classic automobiles; In February 2015 he received the prestigious Lee Iacocca Award at the Boca Raton Concurs Classic Car Show.
- Phil Guido (Class of 1979 Accomplished Professional) – After earning his degrees, Phil joined IBM in New Jersey and held various sales and management roles rising to Vice President of the IBM Insurance Industry early in his career; He is the current General Manager for IBM Global Technology Services for North America; his responsibilities include strategy, execution, business results, and client satisfaction for the full range of IBM’s GTS business. In his role he is responsible for cloud solutions, managed services, and delivery of IT services across North America and leads 50,000 employees and is responsible for $40 Billion in revenue for IBM.
- Matthew Poskay (Class of 2002 Crusader Pride) – All time National leader in goals scored in high school lacrosse; high school All-American; Two Time NCAA National Champion at the University of Virginia; All-American his senior year; professional lacrosse player for the Boston Cannons and was named Major League Lacrosse MVP in 2010; won MLL championship with the Boston Cannons in 2011; Currently plays for the Long Island Lizards of the MLL and is the head coach at Wagner University (Division 1).
For more information about the Alumni Association, visit their website at aljalumni.org.