CLARK, NJ - A large pot of rice caught fire in the Asian Taste restaurant on Westfield Avenue Tuesday afternoon, causing a “sizable amount” of smoke, but no damage, Clark Fire Chief Frank Cerasa said.

“It was all in the basement,” Cerasa said.  “We brought it outside, that was it. It went very well.”

The restaurant was evacuated while firefighters investigated the source of the smoke and inspected the adjacent business.

Sign Up for E-News

The pot of rice was nested inside another pot of cooking oil, Cerasa explained, which caused the excessive smoke condition.   

Westfield Avenue was closed and Clark Police set up a detour around the area at approximately 6:15 p.m.

---------------

TAPintoClark.net  is Clark’s official electronic news source and the only free daily paper. 

Reach our local readers, advertise your business here, email clark@tapinto.net.