CLARK, NJ – The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory and a Flood Watch for the area as a Nor’easter approaches Monday night into Tuesday.
Accumulations of up to a tenth of an inch of ice are possible through the overnight hours. Freezing rain will switch over to all rain during the Tuesday morning hours. Rain is expected to be heavy at times with two to three inches possible before the storm ends Tuesday night.
Motorists are urged to use extreme caution when traveling on icy and wet roads.
With severe conditions expected, PSE&G has ensured all available personnel are ready for an immediate response to outages. The company is also ensuring that additional supplies, including poles and transformers, are on hand.
The utility is urging customers to use caution around downed lines. “Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with,” the company said in a statement.
To report downed wires or power outages, customers should call PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Customers can also report power outages and view the status of their outage by logging in to My Account on www.pseg.com.
PSE&G offers the following tips to customers to prepare:
· Charge cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
· Fill up your car’s fuel tank.
· Ensure you have a battery-powered radio and a supply of fresh batteries.
· Check your supply of flashlights, blankets, nonperishable food and bottled water for everyone in your family.
· Put your refrigerator and freezer at the coldest setting. Keep a blanket handy to throw over these appliances for added insulation. If electricity is interrupted, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
· Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G’s Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG. Call this number to report power outages or downed wires.
PSE&G offers its customers a number of ways to stay in touch and stay informed before, during and after a storm. These tools can be found at www.pseg.com in the “Storm Center,” under “How you can stay connected.”
· Sign up for My Account and bookmark the mobile-friendly homepage on your smart phone so it’s easy to report outages and check restoration progress.
· To report power outages via text message, and receive outage updates by text and email, sign up for MyAlerts.
· Updated every 15 minutes, PSE&G’s online “Outage Map” displays the location and status of power outages in PSE&G’s service territory.
· The utility’s Twitter and Facebook pages also keep the public informed about our restoration progress. Sign up as a follower to monitor restoration process.
· Be sure everyone in the family is prepared. Go towww.pseg.com/sesamestreet to learn how to download the PSEG and Sesame Street “Let’s Get Ready!” emergency preparedness app, along with tips on how to be ready for any emergency.