CLARK, NJ – The Clark Fire Department responded to over seven calls this weekend.  The most recent, was a call to Molly Maguire’s Irish Pub and Restaurant on Central Avenue just before 1:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.

According to Fire Chief Frank Cerasa, there was heavy black smoke coming from the back of the establishment when he arrived.  After entering, he found a grill in the kitchen on fire.

Cerasa said he and others used about a dozen fire extinguishers before the engines arrived to fully address the fire.   Customers in the bar were evacuated immediately.   Four kitchen employees were treated for minor smoke inhalation by the Clark First Aid Squad.  No firefighters were injured.

Sign Up for E-News

The Clark Fire Department crews checked the entire building and the roof prior to turning the building back to the owners for follow up and repairs.  Elizabeth Town Gas was called to the scene to inspect the appliances.

Molly Maguire’s was ventilated and allowed to reopen after the Clark FD secured the area.  The kitchen will remain closed until it is cleaned and repaired.

Additional calls this weekend included two calls to the same address on Raritan Road within less than 15  hours.   According to Cerasa during the first call, the Clark FD arrived at around 9:00 p.m. Saturday night to find elevated carbon monoxide readings on the premises.   The FD remained on the scene until 10:00 p.m. to ventilate the home.

On Sunday morning Cerasa said Clark FD returned to the same address and found six contractors working in a basement.  During this occasion the carbon monoxide levels were in excess of 380 ppm, twice the level of the previous night. 

“The occupants were working with a gas powered saw and a generator without proper ventilation,” said Cerasa. “The Construction Official (on site) shut the job down for safety reasons.”

All occupants were evacuated during the call and the building was ventilated again.  

Before finishing this call, the Clark FD was called to a home on Emerald Place, where a contractor was knocked off of a ladder by roofing materials.   During the fall, power lines were ripped off the building causing the electric meter to spark   The utility company was called to the scene to assist.  The contractor was not hurt.