CLARK, NJ - The Clark Fire Department was called to Chipotle for what ended up being a double call on Thursday morning after employees reported an unknown odor.  According to Captain Ryan Might, upon arrival at the Clark Commons restaurant firefighters were met by employees complaining of a burning sensation in their nasal passages and throats. 

Might and several of his team entered the facility with respiratory equipment and soon discovered several gallons of a produce cleaner had spilled.   As a measure of protocol for chemical spills, the Union County Hazmat team was called to the scene.   

Shortly after ventilation of the building began, Clark FD and Hazmat teams detected natural gas.  Might said the leak appeared to be coming from a flex hose under one of the cooking units.   Elizabethtown Gas was called to secure the scene immediately.   Might said Clark’s Health Officer Nancy Raymond was called too.

Sign Up for Clark Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

An employee of Chipotle reported by phone shortly before 3:00 p.m. that the restaurant was still closed for limited pick-ups or deliveries as they waited for repair services.   Although he said the restaurant would reopen as soon as possible, he could not say when.

Clark Police and the Clark Volunteer Emergency Squad were on hand throughout the situation too said Might.

-------------

Want notifications of breaking news in Clark?  Sign up for enews  to get the news when it happens!