CORAL SPRINGS, FL – After Coral Springs’ “Covered Bridge” was hit by a vehicle yet again last month, the city’s vice mayor has wondered whether the time has come to consider moving the covered portion of the iconic bridge somewhere else – perhaps to a park.
Joy Carter said Monday she’s going to float the idea to city leaders at an upcoming public meeting.
Built in 1964, the bridge on NW 95 Avenue has been struck six times in the past 10 years -- the latest on or before Sept. 24 when a vehicle hit the top of the structure and drove off, according to city officials and records.
After the incident, the city closed the bridge to replace the main support beam on the south side, which was damaged, along with a few roof trusses. Police determined it was hit by a driver who was towing an excavator on a trailer.
“It just keeps happening,” she said.
Carter said the idea to move the covered part of the bridge somewhere else in the city came from Jason Perlow, a person she knows on Facebook.
Coral Springs has tried many ways over the years to prevent the bridge from getting hit, including putting up signs in different languages warning trucks and other large vehicles about the bridge’s size, she said.
A previous time the bridge was struck, the costs to repair it were around $80,000, Carter said. An insurance claim picked up expenses.
For now, Carter said she simply wants the city to have a discussion and look at options to move the wooden top portion of the bridge to another location in the city, such as a park.
“People can still enjoy it somewhere else,” she said.
Carter plans to bring up the issue at the next City Commission workshop on Oct. 28.
More Coral Springs Local News:
Know a story we should share with our readers? Email editor Leon Fooksman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell him about it.