CORAL SPRINGS, FL - Here is our Tuesday, May 12 update on the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Coral Springs and beyond.
The latest numbers (according to Florida Department of Health, updated May 12)
- Coral Springs has 232 cases – up two from Monday.
- In the zip codes of Coral Springs and surrounding cities:
129 in the 33063 zip code.
132 in the 33065 zip code.
37 in the 33067 zip code.
179 in the 33068 zip code.
82 in the 33071 zip code.
61 in the 33073 zip code.
52 in the 33076 zip code.
- Broward County has 5,973 cases.
- Florida has 41,923 cases.
- Total tested in Florida: 580,316 (Negative: 537,681)
- Total deaths in Florida: 1,779
- Total hospitalized in Florida: 7,418
(The number of cases, above, does not reflect how many people have recovered from the virus.)
- Broward County has started the process of re-opening many businesses on May 18 -- and some even earlier.
County officials are working with Gov. Ron DeSantis to get approval to open restaurants, retail stores, hair salons, drive-in theaters and gyms inside housing developments -- all with strict safety protocols.
County Commissioners debated Tuesday a bunch of matters related to the re-opening including whether restaurants should open with 25 percent or 50 percent capacity inside their dining rooms. Commissioner Michael Udine, who represents Coral Springs, pushed for 50 percent and encouraged restaurants to open as early as this weekend.
Open for business:
Check out our list of Coral Springs restaurants offering delivery and/or takeout service.
Also, worth reading:
Know a story we should share with our readers? Email editor Leon Fooksman (email@example.com) and tell him about it.