CORAL SPRINGS, FL - Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) is monitoring the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), commonly known as coronavirus, and providing current information from the Florida Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
Education is the key.
It is important not to create fear or panic. We urge parents and students to get informed about the virus, how it spreads, how to identify symptoms and recommended actions so we can all do our part to prevent the virus from spreading.
Recommendations for prevention are the same as for the flu:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing
- Stay home (or keep your child home) when sick until fever-free for 24-hours without medication
Over the next weeks and perhaps months, updated information will be available from the District on:
- District and School Websites
- BECON TV
- Social Media – #BCPSHealthUpdate
- BCPS Mobile App
- School Newsletters
- School Board Member Newsletters
The District will take the following measures at school campuses:
- Extra cleaning at high-frequency contact areas with a germicidal disinfectant including restrooms, doorknobs and doors, countertops, drinking fountains and sinks
- Review the quantity of hygiene supplies on hand to ensure schools are adequately stocked
- Posters describing hand washing and infection control placed in strategic areas
- Counselors available to students with anxiety about coronavirus
If a case is detected:
- The District will follow protocol from the Florida Department of Heatlh
- Technology remote access to learning will be provided to students who are not able to attend school for an extended period of time
The health and wellbeing of students, staff and school communities continue to be our focus. Additional information, resources and updates are available on the District’s website at browardschools.com/coronavirus.