CRANFORD - Fall is fully upon us which means it's time to rake the leaves. Here are some guidelines from the Cranford Newsletter for residents.
2020 Leaf Collection Program:
- Rake leaves to the gutter line on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before your scheduled pickup. Once your street is picked up, do not rake anymore leaves into the street.
- It is the homeowner’s responsibility to have their landscaper comply with the schedule and guidelines to avoid getting a warning or a fine.
- All sections of town will have at least three leaf pickups. A final pickup of all sections will begin on approximately December 14 and continue until December 31, weather permitting.
- No leaves are to placed out after December 13.
- If you live on a County road; Leaf pickup schedules can be found at: www.ucnj.org or by calling: 908-789-3660. The following are Union County roads: Springfield Avenue; Centennial Avenue; Walnut Avenue; Raritan Road; Kenilworth Blvd; South Avenue East & West. The township does not pick up leaves on county roads.
If Your Choose to Bag Your Leaves:
- Use only biodegradable bags only (available at most Home Centers).
- Bagged leaves should be kept on your property until your next scheduled pickup or taken to the Conservation Center during scheduled hours.
- Zone 1: Northwest section including all streets west of the river and Springfield Ave. toward Kenilworth Blvd. and North Ave. West up to the Garwood/Westfield line.
- Zone 2: Northeast section including all of Riverside Drive and all streets to the east of Springfield Ave. linking North Ave. East to the Roselle Park and Kenilworth line.
- Zone 3: Southwest section and all streets west of Walnut Ave. to South Ave. West to the Clark/Garwood line.
- Zone 4: Southeast section and all streets east of Walnut Avenue from South Avenue East to Roselle line and all streets north of Raritan Road to Roselle line.
Leaf Pickup Schedule:
(DPW makes every effort to adhere to this schedule, however weather conditions may affect pickup dates. Check online for updates: www.cranfordnj.org/public-works)
First Pickup Zone 2 and Zone 3:
- Rake to curb – Friday, Oct. 23 - Sunday, Oct. 25
- Pickup – Monday, Oct. 26 - Friday, Oct. 30
First Pickup Zone 1 and Zone 4:
- Rake out to curb – Friday, Oct. 30 - Sunday, Nov. 1
- Pickup – Monday, Nov. 2 - Friday, Nov. 6
Second Pickup Zone 2 and Zone 3:
- Rake to curb – Friday, Nov. 6 - Sunday, Nov. 8
- Pickup – Monday, Nov. 9 - Friday, Nov. 13
Second Pickup Zone 1 and Zone 4:
Rake out to curb – Friday, Nov. 13 thru Sunday, Nov. 15
Pickup – Monday, Nov. 16 - Friday, Nov. 20 and Monday, Nov. 23 - Wednesday Nov. 25
Third Pickup Zone 2 and Zone 3:
Rake to curb – Friday, Nov. 27 - Sunday, Nov. 29
Pickup – Monday, Nov. 30 - Friday Dec. 4
Third Pickup Zone 1 and Zone 4:
Rake to curb – Friday, Dec. 4 - Sunday, Dec. 6
Pickup – Monday, Dec. 7 - Friday, Dec. 11
*Do Not Rake Leaves to Curb after Sunday Dec. 13
**Final Pickup in all Zones will start Monday, Dec. 14 and continue through Thursday, Dec. 31.
If You Miss a Pickup:
- You can bring your leaves to the Conservation Center
- You can wait for your next scheduled pickup
- Follow pickup schedule.
- DPW cannot pick up leaves with twigs, branches, grass or debris in leaf piles. These materials pose hazards to employees and can cause damage to leaf collection equipment.
- If possible, do not park in the street when collection crews are in your zone.
- Never park a car on a pile of leaves, even if the pile is wet.
- It is recommend residents bag leaves (biodegradable bags only) whenever possible. This helps keep streets cleaner and prevents leaves from blocking storm drains.
- The placement of leaves within 10 feet of any catch basin is prohibited.
- Leaves cannot be at the curb line for more than 10 days.
Cranford Conservation Center:
Address: 210 Birchwood Avenue
Year-Round Hours of Opperation: Wednesdays 9:30 a.m. to 3:20 p.m., Saturdays & Sundays 9:30 a.m. to 3:50 p.m.
*Permits are not required to drop leaves at the Conservation Center. You must show proof of residency.
Christmas Tree Pickup Begins January 4:
- Trees must be curbside by January 4.
- Trees cannot be picked up with bags, lights or decorations.
- Christmas trees only – No wreaths.
- Christmas trees can also be dropped at the Conservation Center during operating hours. (No Permit Required)