A Lifeguarding Course is being offered at the Cranford Pool and Fitness Center during the month of June. Enrollment requires that you be at least 16 years old before the last scheduled class session and be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation. The fee is $250 for members of the Cranford Pool and Fitness Center and $300 for non-members.
To participate in the course, you must be able to pass prerequisite skills evaluation that includes the following:
- Swim 100 yards continuously with head-up (including 50 yards with a rescue tube).
- Swim 200 yards continuously of breaststroke and freestyle. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Swim goggles are not allowed.
* Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water.
* Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
* Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Class dates are as follows: 6/5, 6/6, 6/7, 6/12, 6/13, 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22
Class times are as follows: 3:30pm – 6:30pm
Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
For additional information or to sign up, please call the Cranford Pool and Fitness Center at 908-709-7260.