KENILWORTH, NJ – A 68-year-old women was killed in a fire at a Kenilworth home on Monday night, Detective Sergeant Jim Grady of the Kenilworth Police Department said.
The name of the victim is being held pending an autopsy, he said.
The fire was reported in a two-level home in the 200 block of North 9th Street. The downstairs resident reported the fire at approximately 6 p.m. after noticing heavy smoke, according to the KPD.
The downstairs resident was able to evacuate safely.
“Two of our officers arrived within a minute of the call but were overwhelmed by smoke and fire,” Grady said.
The fire began in the upper floor and fully engulfed the level, officials said. They believe the fire was caused accidentally, most likely from a space heater or stove top.
“An investigation is still ongoing,” Kenilworth Mayor and firefighter Anthony DeLuca said.
The fire was extinguished by 6:55 p.m., Grady said. The entire top floor of the building is burnt to the studs. The ceiling of the lower apartment caved in and suffered water damage.
Firefighters from Union, Roselle Park and Cranford assisted the Kenilworth Fire Department. Firefighters from Clark and Garwood covered the department while it was on scene.