Youth with special needs or those who could use a little help and encouragement in participating in recreation are welcome to register for several “TryCAN” programs being offered by Summit Community Programs this spring. These popular and affordable programs, open to children from any town, help youth develop skills that allow them to pursue a sport or activity further or simply provide them with a meaningful recreation experience, using teen Peer Mentors from local middle and high schools to help participants learn and have fun.
- Dance and Movement Group (ages 5-9) – Sundays starting March 6.
- Mini Yoga Group (ages 8-12) – Sundays starting March 6.
- Social Skills, using technology, for 8-12 year olds – Mondays starting March 7.
- Teen Friendship Group – Mondays starting March 7.
- Let’s Pretend play and social group for 3-5 year olds – Saturdays starting March 12.
- Play and Learn play and social group for 6-7 year olds – Saturdays starting March 12.
- NEW GROUP – Mask Making Art Group (ages 6-9) – Thursdays starting March 17.
- NEW GROUP – Girls Having Fun Club (6th-8th graders) – Saturdays starting April 2.
- Tennis Skills – Saturdays starting April 2.
- NEW GROUP – Move and Dance for older kids (ages 10-15) – Sundays starting April 17.
- Flag Football – Sundays starting April 17.
- Golf – Tuesdays starting April 19.
Summit Community Programs will also be hosting a training class for teens (ages 13+) interested in becoming a volunteer Peer Mentor for youth with special needs at recreation classes and events. Attendees will learn more about youth with certain developmental and physical needs and how to work with and help these youth participate in recreation programs. After the training, volunteers will be able to mentor in any of our special needs programs offered in the area, depending on the need for mentors. Mentors receive credit for community service hours as well as valuable leadership skills, while giving back to the community. The training will be held Monday, April 4 from 4:00-6:00 pm. A $10 registration fee is required for the training.
All programs and the mentor training are held at the Summit Community Center, 100 Morris Avenue. For detailed program information and prices, contact TryCAN at email@example.com. Register online at https://register.communitypass.net/summit, by phone 908-277-2932 or in person at Summit Community Center. Space is limited.