Updated April 11 at 1:05 P.M.

CRANFORD, NJ -The Cranford Fire Department and EMS/First Aid Squad were called to 29 Hemlock Circle for a high level of carbon monoxide in the house late Monday night, according to the Breaking News Network.

Three residents were in the home at the time of the call, according to Battalion Chief Andrew Stratton.

Sign Up for E-News

One resident was transported by the First Aid Squad to receive hospital care. The other occupants were checked by medical professionals and deemed safe. A status on the hospitalized resident is not available.

"When we entered the residence, our four gas meters immediately went off," Stratton said. 

Following the transport, the CFD secured the residence. They are not sure how the carbon monoxide levels went so high, according to Stratton.

"It could be anything from a faulty appliance to a car running in the garage," Stratton said. "Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, so people can get very sick and it can be lethal, and you would never know it. That's why it's so important to have carbon monoxide detectors."