CRANFORD, NJ – The Cranford Fire Department responded to a reported gas leak, Monday evening Dec. 7. and released the following statement: The Water Company was doing emergency repair work on North Union Avenue between Claremont Place and Elizabeth Avenue when a gas line was struck shortly after 6 p.m.. The Fire Department immediately responded to the scene and requested an emergency response from the gas company. Additional fire department personnel assessed surrounding streets to monitor the gas levels. An odor of natural gas could be detected for several blocks, and we responded to several calls reporting a smell of gas. Gas levels in the air were monitored throughout the area; in nearby homes and in the storm drains and at no time did they approach hazardous levels, no homes needed to be evacuated.

According to the fire department, the gas company isolated and repaired the hazard.