The Union County Board of County Commissioners and the Union County Shade Tree Advisory Board would like to thank all of the students who participated in the annual Arbor Day Poetry Contest.
“Arbor Day is a national celebration of environmental stewardship, and trees are a valuable resource in our densely developed area,” said Commissioner Board Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “On behalf of the Commissioner Board I would like to thank all of the students who participated, for helping to raise awareness about the importance of trees in our community, and beyond.”
One winner was chosen for first, second, and third place at each grade level. The winners are invited to attend a virtual awards ceremony on April 29th at 7:00 p.m., and will be publicly recognized by the Union County Board of County Commissioners.
Congratulations to all of our winners!
4th grade winners:
- The Four Seasons by Madison Sartoretti of Valley Road School, Clark, NJ supervised by teacher, Janeen Allmendinger.
- Trees Matter by Olesia Patterson of Jerome Dunn Academy School #9 supervised by teacher, Marianne English.
- Arbor Day by Sahana Iyer of Thomas P Hughes Elementary School supervised by teacher, Andrea Masri.
5th grade winners:
- A Tree Limerick by Taylor Tripet of Thelma Sandmeier Elementary School in Springfield, NJ supervised by teacher, LeEtta Palumbo.
- Trees by Julia Pappalardo of Terrill Middle School , Scotch Plains, NJ supervised by teacher, Erika Vaughn.
- Yoga Tree by Twana Tsuro of Thelma Sandmeier Elementary School in Springfield, NJ supervised by teachers, Anthony Scarppelli and Linda Schmidt.
6th grade winners:
- I Cannot Imagine a World without Trees by Morgan Sinclair from Orange Ave. School, Cranford, NJ supervised by teacher, Liz Chandler.
- Untitled by Sharika Dhar of Columbia Middle School, Berkley Heights, NJ supervised by teacher, Belinda Healey.
- A Helping Hand by Michelle Paida of the Queen City Charter School, Plainfield, NJ supervised by teacher, Schuyler Davis.
7th grade winners
- Masterpiece by Olivia Castro of Lincoln Ave. School, Garwood, NJ supervised by teacher, Tamara Benc.
- The Importance of Trees by Kayla Hill of Maxson Middle School, Plainfield, NJ supervised by teacher, Jan Gwyn-Thompson.
- Beautiful Trees by Karen Luna of Abraham Lincoln School # 14 of Elizabeth supervised by teacher, Miss Tavormina.
8th grade winners
- The Life You Give by Jadali Feliciano of Joseph Battin School #4, Elizabeth supervised by teacher, Shara Greenberg.
- Tree by Fransisco Villalta Escobar of Maxson Middle School, Plainfield, NJ supervised by teacher, Mrs. Menon.
- Delightful Days by Nyla Castro, Lincoln School, Garwood, NJ supervised by teacher, Tamara Benc.
The contest was open to students in grade 4-8. There were 130 entries in all.
For information and updates on all Union County services during the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Drive-Through Test Center at Kean University, the Mobile Test Unit walk-up sites, vaccination information, emergency food distribution and other support services, visit ucnj.org/covid19. General information about COVID-19 is available through the New Jersey Department of Health at nj.gov/health.
Connect with Union County on social media.